First Club Day of the Year

Lily Sanders and Emily James

Last Friday, students signed up for their top two choices for Club Day. Last year, there was only one club day the whole year, right before fall break in November, but this year we’re kicking off Club Day early on Friday, September 17.

With categories like 80s/90s Movie Club, Garden, Card Games, and Dodgeball Club, it should be a fun time. Let’s see what some students chose as their clubs:

“Makeup Artistry, and Musical Theatre is my second choice,” said Abigail Pedersen, 7. 

There are only two club days per semester, so only a total of four every year. Club Day is a great way to meet new people, take a break from school, and bond over shared interests.

“I have never had a Club Day before,” said Mrs. Claborn, seventh grade math teacher. “I’m excited to see what students chose!” 

After students chose what club they wanted, the counselors posted on the wall in the main hallway what club every student is in.

“I don’t think there are any cons for club day,” said Mrs. Merrick, WSMS assistant principal. “I think it’s a great time where you can find other students you might have not known before, and they have the same interests as you. I haven’t had a single student tell me, ‘I don’t want to do Club Day, I hate it.’ Its super fun and I’m very excited about it.”

This year will be a first time for 7th graders, and even 8th graders are practically new to it. Even though it’s a short amount of time or you didn’t get into the club you wanted, teachers are sure it’ll be fun no matter what.