7th Grade Cow Eye Dissection

Kate Shaddock

Every year, seventh graders at WSMS dissect cow eyes in science during the third quarter. Dissecting animals and their parts is a way for students to understand the basics of an organism’s body parts and functions. Seventh grade conducted 2 dissections this week: first a cow eye and then a frog. Students learned about the parts of the eye and how they function. Every part has its own purpose to help the final function. The dissections are supposed to help students understand their own body better and how each organ works together. It also involves teamwork to complete the experiment and following instructions while staying safe. There are lots of safety precautions and equipment involved in the dissection. Everyone has to follow all of the precautions to participate. 

“The dissection was a fun way to learn more about how bodies work. It was a challenge to identify the parts of the cow eye while staying clean,” said Cayli Walker, 7.

In the seventh grade cow eye dissection, students sever the cow eye into different parts to show each tissue’s role. Students get a scalpel, probe, and dissection scissors to help them throughout the experiment. There are many steps to follow and many layers. To begin the dissection, they write a diagram to help identify the parts while in the experiment. There are two safety videos to watch first and to show how to use the supplies. Before starting the dissection students watch a video example to show you how the dissection works step by step, and after that, students complete the dissection. 

“Dead organisms can scare me; I don’t like touching them because they have a slimy texture and smell. I also don’t like to dissect dead animals because I feel bad,” said Skylar Jackson, 7.

The two dissections in seventh grade help students get a general idea about how the body operates using its various parts.