Must-read novels during social isolation

Libby Johnson, Staff Writer

It’s easy to tire of day-to-day quarantine activities, but curling up with a good book is the perfect escape from boredom for many students. Although, it can be hard for some people to get into reading, here are a couple of must-read novels that will turn anyone into a bookworm.

“[‘Stargirl’ is] a celebration of nonconformity; a tense, emotional tale about the fleeting, cruel nature of popularity–and the thrill and inspiration of first love,” says Goodreads.

“Stargirl,” written by Jerry Spinelli, is narrated by Leo Borlock and follows his relationship with the mysterious anomaly, “Stargirl”. “Stargirl” is a refreshing, unorthodox high-schooler who shocks everyone at Mica High with her pet rat, ukulele in the cafeteria, and quirky acts of kindness. At first, her peers celebrate her differences, but soon, controversy arises in the student body. “Stargirl” is about finding and honoring our voices amid teen conformity.

“There is wit, grace, and skill in the telling of “To Kill a Mockingbird”. From the narrator on, every person in the book is every moment alive in time and place. Maycomb, Ala., itself comes alive, as a town abundantly inhabited by individual human beings, each one possessed of his or her convincing nature and personality,” says the Chicago Tribune in an original review.

Since its publication in 1960, “To Kill a Mockingbird” has been considered an American classic. The author, Harper Lee, recounts an intricate story told from the intuitive perspective of 6-year-old Jean “Scout” Finch. Scout watches as racism and prejudice interfere with integrity in the local justice system. Her father, the lawyer Atticus Finch, teaches Scout and her brother, Jem, important life lessons as he defends the rights of an accused African American. 

“This richly textured novel, woven from the strands of small-town life, lets readers walk in the shoes of one fully realized character after another,” says Matt Berman of Common Sense Media when referring to “To Kill a Mockingbird”.

However different “Stargirl” and “To Kill a Mockingbird” may be, both reach a wide range of audiences. Having a good book to read is crucial, so hopefully these books encourage you to get into reading.