The Rise of Zoom

Angelina Wang, Leopard Life Staff Writer

During the Coronavirus pandemic, more than 200 million people actively use the remote conferencing platform Zoom to connect with friends and family.

“Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing platform that can be used for video conferencing meetings, audio conferencing, webinars, meeting recordings, and live chat,” said Sophia Bernazzani, head of product marketing of Owl Labs.

The platform provides a service that combines online meetings, chat, and video conferencing. Millions of people turned to Zoom to connect with others during social distancing.

Zoom bombing occurs when an uninvited individual gains access to your meeting. They join the Zoom session with the intent to disrupt the meeting,” said Bernazzani.

Since you only need a 10 digit code to join a meeting, it’s very easy for people to “Zoom-bomb” public Zoom calls and use the platform to share graphic content to participants, forcing hosts to shut down the meeting. In response to this, Zoom now requires a password.

“Zoom allows individuals to meet and work together productively “face-to-face” when meeting in-person isn’t possible. This makes meeting remotely much more human, which is essential in order to help users feel and stay connected,” said Bernazzani.

With millions of students quarantined at home, school districts have found ways to teach using Zoom.

Zoom is helping the world stay connected through the tough times of Coronavirus while attracting millions of users.