High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Review

Mia Reaugh and Libby Johnson

In November of 2019, Disney Plus released a new series that teenagers are raving about: High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. The series follows the new students of East High; the same high school where High School Musical was filmed. This creates nostalgia for teens who grew up watching the original movies. The series also has new, young faces that have attracted many viewers. The cast consists of Joshua Bassett (Ricky), Olivia Rodrigo (Nini), Matt Cornett (EJ), Sofia Wylie (Gina), Kate Reinders (Miss Jen), and many more. Overall, I think this show is a spectacular drama and is relatable to many teenagers.

The show opens at the beginning of the 2019 school year, where the new theater teacher, Miss Jenn, has inspired the students to put on a new production: High School Musical, the Musical! Nini has decided to take a chance in the spotlight as the co-lead of the play after a dramatic and sudden breakup with her long-time boyfriend, Ricky. In an attempt to win Nini back, Ricky steps outside of his comfort zone and lands the other leading role of the play: Troy Bolton. Sparks fly as conflict arises between the cast of the play: EJ and Ricky, Nini and Gina. Only one season has been released, so there is much more to come.

HSMTMTS is the ideal show to watch on your couch with some ice cream. It has exceptional writing that really makes you feel like you are a part of the musical experience. The story telling technique outlines the ideal high school experience: romance, drama, music, and a whole lot of fun!

Not only is this series relatable, it has unique cinematography. The narrative of this show features perspectives from all of the characters, creating a video-diary effect. The audio and music, partially written by Olivia Rodrigo and Joshua Bassest, begs you to sing along. The actors pull you in, and make you feel as if you’re in the show.

The upcoming season has been said to feature new music, beloved characters, and most importantly, a new theater production of Beauty and The Beast! The second season of HSMTMTS is in production and doesn’t have a release date yet, but I’m anxiously waiting for it to come. Overall, I recommend this series to anyone who enjoys cheesy romance and a happy ending.