Eighth-graders Experience Bump-Up Day

Selene Thompson, Leopard Life Staff Writer

On Jan. 31, 2020, WSMS eighth-graders experienced a taste of high school life for the first time. 

“It [Bump-Up Day] was pretty cool. The tour was pretty amazing. Although the school is like a maze, it’s pretty easy once you get used to it,” said Luke Clark, 8.

Bump-Up Day was created when the counselors and school board realized that the students at WSMS should get to know the high school better before actually attending.

“We want students to be able to experience their new campuses. We feel Bump-Up Day helps heighten eagerness for the next school year and lowers anxiety about the new school year. Moving campuses can be a big transition. Bump Up Day helps smooth the transition,” said Kay Bordelon, WSMS counselor. 

Many students are overwhelmed even thinking of the transition from middle school to high school. Some are expecting there to be more homework along with a plethora of new students from higher grade levels to get used to. 

“I’m a mixture of excited and terrified. I’m excited to go to high school, but the idea of navigating the high school, being a freshie, and going to college after high school is very scary,” said Presley Senn, 8.

One difference between the middle school and the high school is that the high school is tremendously bigger in comparison to the middle school. The high school also has a lot more elective choices and clubs. 

“I think it [high school] will be good and we’ll get more freedom,” said Isa Camacho, 8.

All in all, Bump-Up Day will always be there to help eighth-graders learn the classes and teachers for high school so they won’t be nervous going into LHS.