History of Lovejoy ISD

William Carlson, Leopard Life Staff Writer

Lovejoy ISD has a unique and rich history that has benefited our schools for over a century through community engagement, such as Denim and Diamonds fundraiser, and educational activities, such as the National Jr. Honor Society.

“I think there is a lot of rich history in Lovejoy. The Little Red Schoolhouse, which is now our district administration building, at one time was the only building in the school district…the district grew, and more schools were built,” said Kent Messer, principal of Willow Springs Middle School.                  

Lovejoy ISD was founded on July 2, 1917. Lovejoy was named after Mrs. J.L. Lovejoy, a local resident who was a strong advocate of educational causes. At that time, Lovejoy had only one elementary school, Lovejoy Elementary. Eighty-three years later, in 2000, Lovejoy opened their second elementary school, Joe V. Hart Elementary.

“Lovejoy has a very interesting and unique history,” said Jason Carlson, a local Lovejoy resident.

Then, in the fall of 2006, the district decided to build a new middle and high school that enabled Lovejoy to become a full K-12 district. Students were then able to go to Lovejoy ISD instead of going to Allen ISD in order to attend middle and high school. As of the 2013-2014 school year, Lovejoy ISD began to serve all K-12 through elementary, intermediate, middle, and high schools.

“Lovejoy has always had good schools and good teachers,” said Dax Dunham, 7.

Since 2014, no recent changes have occurred to Lovejoy ISD, but future improvements will be made that will benefit Lovejoy and its academic programs.