Benefits of Healthy Snacks

Evelyn Tsai, Leopard Life Staff Writer

At WSMS, students share their opinions on their favorite healthy snacks to eat during their classes in the past school year.

“I watched a video on Alzheimer’s, and now I’m eating handfuls of nuts – like almonds,” said Jocelyn Kim, 8.

Most nuts, including almonds, are very healthy snacks. Almonds increase the amount of Vitamin E in red blood cells, lower overall cholesterol levels, and reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s.

“I like apples because they’re sweet, and they’re crunchy, and I like to eat them with peanut butter,” said Julie Smithey, WSMS parent.

Combining apples and peanut butter is a delicious snack with several health benefits. A tablespoon of peanut butter and an apple can provide four grams of protein with less than 200 calories. 

“Dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you too,” said Gretchen Young, WSMS nurse.

Dark chocolate is a bittersweet and healthy treat. It supplies antioxidants, improves blood flow, and reduces risk of heart disease.

“I like dried seaweed because it is very tasty and also healthy. It has the right amount of salt and a great texture,” said Chakrearsey Prom, 8.

Dried seaweed is a salty, crunchy snack that supports thyroid function and gut health. It is also a good source of minerals and vitamins.

“I like snacks because they help energize the body,” said Tamanna Verma, 8.

There is a wide variety of tasty, healthy snacks that students enjoy eating, and these snacks may have positive impacts for the body.

Disclaimer: Leopard Life recommends consulting a doctor before changing your diet due to health conditions and allergies.