WSMS Books to Read

Angelina Wang, Leopard Life Staff Writer

Lately, some WSMS students had a hard time picking what they want to read because of the wide variety of genres in the library.

Masterminds is a book about a couple of kids who find out the secrets of the government. I really like the cliffhangers in the book,” said Hunter Hayward, 8.

Masterminds is a science fiction and mystery novel that has 352 pages and is written by a New York Times best-selling author, Gordon Korman. Follow Eli, Tori, Malik, and Amber as they discover the truth of their past and create a life for themselves in an outside world that is unfamiliar and dangerous. Project Osiris and its enforcers, the Purple People Eaters, are hot on their trail.

“ A compelling new world of action-packed surprises,” said Kirkus Reviews.

Red Queen is a young adult fiction and fantasy book that has 388 pages and is written by Victoria Aveyard, who is a Goodreads Choice Award winner. In this novel, seventeen-year-old Mare Barrow discovers that she, a peasant-born Red, has the special powers of the elite ruling Silvers, and can change the course of her country’s future.

“Out of my mind is about a girl in a wheelchair that can’t talk, she ends up getting a talking pad and gets so smart that she tries out in a smart person club and makes it,” said Samantha du Bois, 7.

Out of My Mind is written by Sharon Draper, who is a five-time winner of the Coretta Scott King Award. The 295-page fiction book is about Melody Brooks, an eleven-year-old girl diagnosed with cerebral palsy. Melody’s body is uncooperative, requiring her to use a wheelchair. Her brain works well, but she cannot speak.

Head over to the WSMS library, and see if you want to read any of these books.