AMC Math Competition

William Carlson, Leopard Life Staff Writer

Students at WSMS are taking part in a nationwide mathematics competition, called the AMC Math Competition, to determine if they are smart enough to advance to the next level of the competition.

According to the writers at www.maa.org, “The Mathematical Association of America American Mathematics Competition (MAA AMC) program leads the nation in strengthening the mathematical capabilities of the next generation of problem-solvers.”  

The AMC Math Competition starts with the AMC 8, a 40-minute, 25-question test. The test is scored by the number of questions you get correct. Each correct answer is worth one point, but if you get a question wrong or skip a question, it will be worth zero points.

“I don’t think I did very well because it was very hard. We weren’t allowed to use calculators on it, so it was very complicated. I hope I did well, but I don’t think I did that great,” said Brayden Nelson, 7.

If students receive a high enough score for the AMC 8, they will advance and take the AMC 10 and AMC 12 tests. However, the AMC 10 and 12 are scored differently from the AMC 8. Correct answers are worth six points, incorrect answers are worth zero points, and answers left blank are worth 1.5 points. The students with the highest scores have the opportunity to compete in the American Invitational Mathematics Examination(AIME) and become part of the International Math Olympiad Team.   

In conclusion, the AMC Math Competition is an excellent way to test your math abilities and problem-solving skills by taking an advanced mathematics test.