Strategies to prevent cyberbullying

Angelina Wang, Leopard Life Staff Writer

Teens have been being cyberbullied on social media these past few years through hate comments and harmful threats.

“Don’t share personal data because that’s how people steal your identity,” says Caroline Swanson, 7.

Make sure to never post your private information or tell someone your password, because bullies might post harmful or embarrassing photos of you on social media. Bullies are more focused on themselves so they aren’t aware of what they are doing, and more aware of the reward they are seeking.

“I’ve heard of someone being texted mean stuff, and I was really sad because they might be really hurt,” said Cole Faulkner, 8.

Also, if a student is texting you hateful and unpleasant messages or threats, report it to an adult or teacher immediately. You can go to reportit.com and address the situation even if you are not the victim of cyberbullying. If they keep bothering you, you can block or ignore them.

“I think leaving someone out is wrong because it makes them really sad,” said Aidan Cordin, 11.

Another type of bullying is called exclusion. It’s the act of leaving someone out on purpose. Exclusion can happen with in-person bullying situations but can also happen online and on social media. 

“We need to make sure we are kind and respectful to our peers and friends,” said Nicole Agnew, librarian.

Be sure to not leave classmates out, be safe online, keep sensitive information private and report any bullying situations.