Cell Phones Used in Classes

LeopardLife Audrey McCaffity, Co-Editor in Chief

Due to a small number of students failing to use cell phones appropriately in school, students must put phones away during the day.  

Making students put their cell phones in pockets is not effective.

The majority of students have not used their cell phones to create interruptions during the school day. The new rule does nothing but show the students that they are not trusted.

According to the New England Board of Education, when students are given choices over what to do they are more productive.This shows that students would be able to accomplish more when they had permission to keep their phone. Teachers also have the ability to use their phone in class which causes students to become frustrated.

However, Cell Phones have the ability to allow students to cheat on things as simple as homework to as hard as test. According to CBS News 35 percent of students have used phones to cheat on test which is over one-third of the student body.

It is proven by Smart Classroom Management that collective punishment loses teachers influence over both the students who deserve it and those doing the right thing. Therefore if teachers instruct students to put phones away because of what someone else was doing, they lose their own influence. This doesn’t mean that they can’t punish the students by taking away privileges ever, but they should not use it on a problem as controversial as cell phones.

Students should be allowed to put their phones away in their backpacks until proven that they have used them inappropriately.

Learning starts with an understood trust between the school and students. The current phone rule should be adapted to only affect individuals who have shown they lack the maturity to handle the privilege of technology.