Money making opportunities for students

LeopardLife Audrey McCaffity, Co-Editor in Chief

While briskly walking past store windows in hopes of getting home on time, they notice the pair of shoes they’ve been wanting for months. They ask their parents if they can have them in hopes the answer will be different. Then they hear it. The response that many kids dread: “Pay for it yourself”.

For many middle schoolers, hearing this phrase is not out of the ordinary. However, they are then faced with the challenge of finding a way to make money.

“I mean, I mow my neighbor’s lawn. I guess that it’s not really creative, but that’s one of the best ways I can make money. Because they don’t want to, they pay me a really good price to do it,” said Galen Ezell, 8.

In order to work at a big company in Texas, teenagers must be at least 14 years of age. In a survey of 10,000 people, it found that the average kid makes $8.47 a week.

“It’s not very creative, but it is very fun. I have three acres of backyard and most of it has lots of trees, so I rake the yard a lot and get two dollars a bag,” said Elizabeth Jasina, 8.

Though some students do not often make money, they save up so that when the time comes they can purchase the special item they’ve been asking for.

“I’m definitely more of a saver. I’m really cautious before I buy stuff. I don’t buy everything I see. I think about it for a little bit beforehand, and then I also focus on what I want because I usually want bigger things rather than the smaller, cheap stuff,” said Ezell.

The diversity of interest shown in middle schoolers opens up more job opportunities than one may think. Students that are interested in sports may want to become a referee while those who enjoy art may want to sell a series of drawings that they create.

“Yes I want more ways to make money because if you have multiple ways and space them out properly you can make a lot of money in a small amount of time,” said Jasina.

In elementary school, students are taught the importance of taking care of money. Because of lessons like these, when students get jobs such as mowing lawns around the neighborhood they are able to take care of the money they made.

“Well, I don’t make money often. The only way I know how to make money is a lemonade stand because I don’t think you can start a big business at my age. I try to save, but sometimes spend. I will say I don’t go shopping very much,” said Bridget O’Dowd, 7.

Though reasons for wanting to make money differ from student to student, having bake sales, tutoring younger kids, babysitting, and having a car wash are ways anybody can earn the money they feel they deserve.