Project tag strikes back

LeopardLife Luke Wright, Christian Giordano, Staff Writers

Mrs. Slaver, the art teacher at WSMS, brings back Project TAG for its second year in action. She wants to spread hope to people that need it. The art classes do that by making small art pieces with inspirational quotes on them.

“Project tag is kind of multifaceted for me,” said Art Teacher Jenny Slaver.

Students make the art whenever they want to. It could be at school, at home, or even in the car on the way to school. Project TAG is meant to be a fun project for art students that also helps the community around them.

“The students actually having their artwork around and other students being interactive with it and like taking it home, touching it, looking at it, is a really cool thing,” said Slaver.

Project TAG really can change someone’s life by just giving the person some confidence or just some words that need to be heard to give them happiness.

“It really shows how art can really change someone’s spirits and really inspire and encourage,” said Slaver.

This is the second year Project TAG has been done at WSMS. The turnout last year was so good that they decided to do it again this year.

“This is the second year that we’ve done it. We started it last year and it went so well that we thought we’d do it again this year,” said Slaver, “But it’s grown, it’s gotten bigger and more people participate now, so we’re probably going to keep it going a few more days this year.”

The idea around Project TAG came when it started at Mrs. Slavers college.

“When I was in college, I had a weird time of day where I had some extra time in between studio classes. I’d go to this park and sit on a bench, and I would just make art while sitting on the bench and i started leaving it on the bench,” said Slaver.

When she started that, other people started to interact and participate in this activity, and it grew around the campus.

“Someone, I don’t know who, at the college I was going to start making art too and it was like an anonymous trading card system and I still, to this day, don’t know who it was and people started adding to the bench and then it became the bench off art,” said Slaver, “People would just leave these really cool and encouraging works of art and you could take anything and you just gave something back and it was honor code, it was so cool.”

Many students around WSMS like the idea of Project TAG, and it shows with how much work and effort the students put into making these tags.

“It’s a way that we can spread hope and inspirational quotes to people who need it,” said Sarah Philips, 7.

Project TAG is also a fun project to do because you get to make really cool pieces of art that can really change someone’s day or even their life.

“Yeah, it’s really fun, we get to make our own tags, spread the love to other people in the school and then they get to make someone else feel happier,” said Philips.

Project TAG has been a huge success this year, and many people at WSMS hope that Project TAG will strike back again next year.