Technology dangers: electronics cause harm without proper use

“You don’t want to spend too much time on your phone because it can hurt your social skills or health,

“You don’t want to spend too much time on your phone because it can hurt your social skills or health," seventh-grader, Devon Larimer, said.

-graphic by India Ingham, graphics editor

LeopardLife Bethany McTee, Staff Writer

From starting fires, exploding on tabletops, and getting hooked on the screen, phones may look harmless, but there are potentially many dangers to these electronic devices.

Many people own a type of technology; they have the ability to keep people in touch and can be a great form of education and entertainment. However, what many may not know is that there can be many dangerous consequences to these gadgets. Phones may have physical effects that people can see, but what many don’t know is that they have mental effects as well.

“Phones affect my peers negatively because people are always on there phones, and that just means they’re taking away valuable time from their education and what’s going on in the world,” seventh-grader, Katy Nuckles, said. “Their brains are focused on their Instagram or Snapchat and not invested in school. They’re just wondering what’s the next time they can get on their phones.”

Many mental dangers can occur while using technology, such as addiction to apps and games, and health risks such as vision problems, hearing loss, or neck strain. The features on these devices, like social media, may also lead to bullying.

“I guess you could say cyberbullying would be a cause. I feel that dangers are easily preventable, but I hope that they wouldn’t happen,” eighth-grader, Landon Sorrels, said.

Many tales have been told about the dangers of these machines, such as them creating plaque inside of someone’s brain, or horror stories of someone getting injured by a gadget or even advice from doctors about what the consequences of what too much phone time can cause.

“When your phone is charging in your bed it sends out radiation, and that radiation is bad for your head which can end up in getting a lot of migraines and can increase nightmares while asleep,” seventh-grader, Laney Dawson, said. “If you turn your phone off thirty minutes to an hour before you go to sleep you can end up with better sleeping habits.”

Cyberbullying could be a major threat to technology and can be hard on people of all ages, and affect others negatively.

“I think cyberbullying is bad because it hurts people and their feelings, and it can hurt others in the process,” eighth-grader, Chloe Dorlon, said.

With the many dangers of these devices, it can be hard to know what can happen while doing everyday events.

“You don’t want to spend too much time on your phone because it can hurt your social skills or health. I feel that technology should be used in moderation, and it’s kind of scary to hear about the things that could happen from too much technology,” seventh-grader, Devon Larimer, said.