Two students accept the Principal Awards

Back to Article
Back to Article

Left to right: Riley McGowan and Grace Milliken are the 2017-2018 Principal Award recipients

-photo by Parker Post, managing editor

-photo by Parker Post, managing editor

-photo by Parker Post, managing editor

LeopardLife Audrey McCaffity, Staff Writer

-graphic by Kaylea Norman, staff photographer
Past recipients of the Principal Award

Throughout the year, teachers and administrators look for students exemplifying the Lovejoy Graduate Profile, a group of traits that Lovejoy students strive to show, and this all leads to the Principal’s Award. The Principal’s Award is given out to the two eighth-grade students, one boy and one girl, that have shown what it means to be a leader throughout their years at WSMS.

“I believe that being a great friend, always being kind to everybody, and paying attention in class goes into earning it (The Principal’s Award). I believe that extracurricular activities also go into earning the Principal’s Award,” seventh-grader, Liam Palazzolo, said.

Though it is called the Principal’s Award, the process to narrow down the recipient includes teachers as well as other administrators. The teachers first nominate outstanding students who have shown outstanding qualities.

“The Principal’s Award is given to an eighth-grade student at the end of their years. They are actually recommended by teachers, and then we have a runoff election with all the teachers. Then we have a final runoff which is with the administrators, and based off of that vote we determine who the recipient is,” WSMS principal, Kent Messer, said.

After the teachers have nominated the students, they then have an election to determine who advances. Administrators then make the final decision with a final vote. Though many students look forward to seeing who receives the Principal’s Award, others have not heard of it.

“I have not heard of the Principal’s Award. However, I believe that being a good leader, being responsible, and including everyone goes into earning the Principal’s Award. The Graduate Profile plays a part in the Principal’s Award by showing that you need to do good community service and be a good leader,” seventh-grader, Hannah Wyrick, said.

At Lovejoy, students are taught at a young age the traits that go into being a leader. Up until eighth grade, students do not have an individualized award like this one. They have had the chance to earn awards simply from teachers, but not one award has involved this many people.

“I think that the principal awards are when the principle recognizes you for doing something that is worthy enough to come to everyone’s attention. I think that to earn the principles award you have to be very proactive, responsible, and a leader. I also think that the principles award and the graduate profile are very alike because they have the same qualities,” eighth-grader, Ayden Porter, said.

All students are expected to show great leadership, which makes it even harder to choose a recipient for this award. However, with a little bit of time and debate, the nominees are narrowed down to a final, deserving recipient.

“The award goes to the student who exemplifies the graduate profile, but on top of that, they have exceptional leadership as well. In the two years that the student has been at WSMS, they really made Willow Springs a better place for their peers, their teachers, the administration, and for the community,” Messer said.