Flags flew high at state with Color Guard win

LeopardLife Mac Van Benthuysen, Margo Friloux, Bethany McTee, staff writers

With dazzling flags and twirling rifles, Color Guard wowed judges as the color guard scored first at the North Texas Color Guard Association Cadet Class on March 10 with their show titled “The River” with a score of 91.25.

The show carried out a more serious tone compared to other cadet class shows featuring more light-hearted themes.  Reflecting on the experience, students shared their opinions on their win. 

“I feel like championship went really well, it was a great experience being there with my classmates and we were able to really put on a good show and perform to our best extent,” eighth-grader, Joeley Hedgcoxe, said.

The show has been in the working for months. Many practices have taken place in December through March perfecting the routine before the big show.

“We put so much effort into this one routine. We have been practicing in the morning, after school, and in class as well. We put so much of our time and hard work into this routine, and it really paid off,” seventh-grader, Emma Ball said.

Many performances have led up to the North Texas competition. Traveling all over Texas showcasing the routine to many different judges and audiences.

“It’s my first year doing color guard and it was a really fun experience hanging out with all my friends. I’ve been to other competitions, but this one was a lot bigger and we got to see a lot more groups, it was amazing,” seventh-grader, Bethany McTee, said.

The performance “The River” begins with all of the members under a blue tarp symbolizing the river. The members showcase their skills through the spinning rifles, flags, and dancing, and the show ends with a member getting wrapped up in the tarp as the music fades.

“Our show “The River” is an intense performance where we play off the siren and mermaid personalities. I feel like a completely different person because of the mask I put on to become an evil, sassy, mermaid. Being onstage with an audience is thrilling,” Ball, said.

The color guard state win has been the first for the team out of the three years its been at Willow Springs. This season has impacted the Lovejoy Color Guard community for the better. Last year the team placed third at the state championship. 

“Color Guard is a huge part of my life it’s an amazing fine art,” Ball said. “It’s amazing to a part of something so great.

With many practices, competitions, and time, Willow Springs won the competition and accepted their award with smiling faces.

“I think our team worked hard and that paid off,” McTee said. “After everything that our team has been through and every practice, it feels great to win.”