OAP dominates at UIL

Back to Article
Back to Article

OAP dominates at UIL

photo by adam mendelson

photo by adam mendelson

photo by adam mendelson

photo by adam mendelson

LeopardLife Nicole George, staff writer

Willow Springs Middle School’s One Act Play cast was ranked first at the OAP contest. ‘I Never Saw Another Butterfly’ by Celeste Raspanti. The OAP competition was held on March 3rd in Grand Prairie.

The OAP cast has been with their fellow actors and actresses since the start of the play. The actors went to the Dallas Holocaust museum that helped them get a better understanding of all that had happened during the Holocaust.

“This show is mainly understanding what happened in history and how people can be so terrible,” eighth-grader, Chisom Okorafor, said.

OAP had been practicing for this play since November and started rehearsals in January. The cast had practiced to amaze the judge and entertain students.

“We practiced in class and after school eight hours a week. The students had lots of homework developing their characters, they watched historical movies based on the holocaust to give them a point of reference,” theatre director, Donella DiPasquale, said.

The rulebook is over 100 pages and the Willow Springs OAP class had to find a way to follow each one of them. Everything from the sound backstage or even the amount of fabric used on stage matters. Before the show, each school is timed on how long they take to put up the whole set. They all are responsible for the set piece they are supposed to put up. It all must be done within 7 minutes.

This previous year, the Willow Springs’ theatre department showcased their production ‘The Caucasian Chalk Circle’ for the UIL competition. There are many rules that the performers have to follow, and there’s a timer. In the OAP competition, the students’ performance cannot go over 40 minutes, although the actors can finish their last line right before the timer ends.

“Some problems were tearing the set because it was really heavy. Making the costumes were also pretty difficult. Timing created some problems because we had to make sure that our show wasn’t over 40 minutes,” eighth-grader, Daniela Angarita, said.

At the end of every play, the judges go over what the play did well with and what needs more work. After all the schools have performed, the students all gather together and judges give out awards. Willow Springs won seven awards and was OAP’s 2018 champion. The following students won individual awards; Brindley Eaton, Avery May, Ellis Smith, Lauren Burgess, Hope Corbitt and Jack Gaines.

“I’d definitely say this was our best show so far. Our whole audience had teary eyes and the judge was bawling. We took home a total of eight awards such as four all-star casts, best actress, best tech crew and yes we won first place,” seventh-grader, Brindley Eaton, said.