Soccer kicks into gear

The soccer season is starting off strong.

-photo courtesy of The Rosette

LeopardLife Ahmed Bouafif, Staff Writer

The first soccer game was on Tuesday, April 3 and other games are on April 12 and April 17. The seventh-grade boys tied, while the eighth-grade boys, seventh-grade girls, and eighth-grade girls won as well. While most teams started the season off strong, there are still more soccer games to prepare for the season.

“On the field in games, I will be looking for the same things we have covered in practice. In practice, we have covered individual quality on the ball to beat an opponent one on one, how to defend one on one, the role of the second defender, how to receive the ball, mobility, and combination play,” soccer coach, Ian Keeble, said.

For soccer tryouts, the students were required to bring a pair of soccer cleats, shin guards, and soccer socks, while soccer balls were provided. They need this gear for protection and to help handling the ball.

“I did pretty good. I held all the doubts down and kept it calm. I made myself feel like I alone was on the field so I could do the best I can do,” seventh-grader, Adam Greenwald, said.

Soccer tryouts started March 20 and lasted until March 22. Seventh-grade boys attended tryouts after school from 4:10 to 5:20 and eighth-graders had it through eighth period.

“I did really good during soccer tryouts. The team looks really good because we have some really good players that made the team. During tryouts, we worked on many things like ball control and shooting,” seventh-grader, Connor O’Dowd, said.

Soccer coaches Ian Keeble and Alex Duran coach seventh-and eighth-grade boys soccer, while the girls are coached by Coach Courtney Todd and Coach Ashley McAdoo. The skills that are focused on for players are ball control, touches, shooting, shifting, and passing.

“During soccer tryouts, I think I did really good. The team looks really good because we have stronger goalkeepers and midfielders. The pressure of making the team affected me a little bit because I was nervous that I may not make the team,” seventh-grader, Adam Madicle, said.

Ball control is what one can do with the ball when they get it. Touches are when the players receive the ball. Shooting is how far, fast, and where they can shoot. Passing is if the players can pass the ball to the person with one touch or two touches. Shifting is when the ball is on the other side of the field, and the player would shift closer to the ball.

“During tryouts I did good.The team looks better than last year. The pressure of making the team wasn’t that bad,” eighth-grader, Katie Armstrong, said.

There are 50 seventh-grade boys and 40 eighth-grade boys who tried out for soccer. There are 41 seventh-grade girls, and 26 eighth-grade girls tried  out for soccer. The eighth-grade girls and seventh-grade boys practice in the mornings, while the eighth-grade boys and seventh-grade girls practice in the afternoons. Only 21 seventh-grade boys made the team and 20 boys made it for eighth-grade.

“During tryouts I did good. The team looks better than last year. The pressure of making the team wasn’t that bad,” eighth-grader, Gia George, said.