Teams shoot for success during March Madness

Back to Article
Back to Article

LeopardLife Will Doig, Staff Writer

Despite Virginia’s defeat as the predicted March Madness winner, students respond to March Madness and give their predictions.

Based on the survey, 50 percent of students favored Villanova, 40 percent Kansas, and 10 percent Michigan to win the NCAA Tournament

“Villanova is going to win because they’re the best overall team, but Kansas could win because I think Devonte Graham (Kansas point guard) is going to dominate,” seventh-grader, Johnny Brookhart, said.

History hit the books on March 16, as sixteen seed, UMBC, upsets number one seed,

Virginia, to become the first sixteen seed to ever defeat a number one seed in the whole seventy-nine years of March Madness. Arguably one of the greatest dethrones in history as UMBC came into the game with a very scarce chance to beat the top-ranked Cavaliers. UMBC guard Nolan Gerrity even compared the outstanding victory to winning a game in Fortnite. With the win against Virginia, UMBC scratched the surface on one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournament history.In the Midwest region Kansas, Seton Hall, Clemson, Auburn, Syracuse, Michigan St, Rhode Island, and Duke advanced to the Round of 32. From there, Kansas, Clemson, Syracuse, and Duke advanced to the Sweet 16. For Syracuse, many analysts and fans thought they didn’t deserve even a spot in the tournament, but Syracuse has proved them wrong by upsetting three seed Michigan State and a birth to the Sweet Sixteen. After sweet sixteen victories, Kansas and Duke faced each other for a spot in the final four. After a long and back and forth overtime game, Kansas pulled away to face Villanova in the Final Four.

“I think Villanova is going to beat Kansas because they’re a smarter team and play the right way with each other,” seventh-grader, Will Mclaughlin, said.

In the East Region Villanova, Alabama, West Virginia, Marshall, Florida, Texas Tech, Butler, and Purdue all advanced to the second round. From that point, Villanova, West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Purdue went on to the Sweet 16. Marshall was another team in that round who surprised the world with a first-round victory. Villanova and Texas Tech faced each other in the Elite-eight and Villanova pulled out the victory to become final four bound.

“I think that Villanova is going to win the right side of the bracket because they are the best team overall,” seventh-grader, Parker Patel, said.

In the West region, Xavier, Florida State, Ohio State, Gonzaga, Houston, Michigan, Texas A&M, and North Carolina advanced. Three rounds later Michigan won the West to advance to the final four against the South’s winner, eleven seed Loyola Chicago.

“I think Michigan had an easy ride to the final four because they had really good teamwork and every team they played was a higher seed than them,” eighth-grader, Marco Gaccione, said.

In the South region, UMBC, Kansas State, Kentucky, Buffalo, Loyola Chicago, Tennessee, Nevada, and Cincinnati all won their first-round games. This region of the bracket was the biggest surprise of the tournament. For one the first time ever a one seed lost to a sixteen seed, also Arizona a team many thought would go far with the help of elite center Deandre Ayton lost in the first round against thirteen seed Buffalo. Two rounds later in the Elite 8, only two teams remained Kansas State and Loyola Chicago. After a blow away win, Loyola Chicago took the win to be known as the Cinderella team of the tournament. It was the first time Loyola Chicago made the tournament since 1963.

“No other team can move the ball as well as Loyola Chicago and they can go anywhere on the court with their big man,” eighth-grader, Aidan Murphy, said.