‘Every day was a new adventure’

"One day, we toured Bunratty Castle," eighth-grader, Claire Easley, said.

-photo courtesy of claire easley, editor-in-chief

LeopardLife Katya Wise, Real World Editor and Audrey McCaffity, Staff Writer

From ski trips to coastal beach vacations, the variety of spring break family plans differed far and wide. or one student, the chance to visit Ireland and be present on St. Patrick’s Day, also occurring during Spring Break, was an impactful experience that will be long-remembered.

“I got to spend spring break in Ireland this year. We were there 11 days, including St. Paddy’s, and every day was a new adventure,” eighth-grader, Claire Easley, said.

St. Patrick’s Day is a holiday started long ago but is still celebrated by many This year, a Willow Springs student got the chance to celebrate where it all began,Ireland. What started as a religious feast on March 17, 461 was soon changed into a day full of festivals, leprechauns, parties, and an abundance of green. Though recognized throughout the world, it is celebrated more enthusiastically in Ireland.

Although St. Patrick’s Day is one of the most famous days to celebrate in Ireland, it is not the only thing to do there. People often tour famous castles and the Blarney Stone.

Every day we’d wake up, eat breakfast, and load up from whatever hotel we were staying at to head to the next city. On the way there, we would stop and do something. For example, one day, we toured Bunratty Castle then kissed the famous Blarney Stone,” Easley said.

While celebrated commonly, Ireland is known for its wild festivals on St. Patrick’s Day. Individuals dressed as leprechauns parade through the streets with many others all dressed in green. There is food, singing, and lots of dancing. Each year Ireland’s capital has a crowd of over 500,000. Many get up early to get a spot to watch the parades.

“I have not heard about the rich history of St. Patrick’s Day. I enjoy St. Patrick’s Day because it is fun,” seventh-grader, Chloe Schaeffer, said.

Though Dublin may be considered one of the most popular places to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, those who may not enjoy the crowds can still get an authentic experience in different places such as Galway.

An  hour-long parade goes through Galway with many different groups and shades of green. People’s faces show expressions of joy as they see the many floats and bands parade by.

We were in Galway for St. Paddy’s. We all figured Dublin would just be too overwhelming, so we opted for a smaller city that we knew would still have the same feel. The celebration was less chaotic, but it was also very authentic. We all lined up on the streets and watched the parade, ” Easley, said.

Shamrocks are often seen during St. Patrick’s Day. This is due to a legend that St. Patrick had used the shamrock, also known as a three-leaf clover, to explain the Trinity. The Trinity is a Christian belief that there is one God with three parts united.

After parades, you can often find people watching a rugby game inside Ireland’s pubs. In some places. Individuals can be seen eating popular St. Patrick’s Day foods such as Irish potato cakes.

Afterwards, everyone went to the pubs to watch the rugby game against England, their rival team. It was a really fun, great experience. I would love to go back to Ireland for Saint Patrick’s Day. It was an amazing experience that I really hope I get to take part in again,” Easley said. “Words cannot do justice to how amazing the country and its patriotism is.”

The Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day in different ways.