Reports and musicians comment on effects of music

photo by Analyssa Richie, photography student

LeopardLife Zach Dillard, Staff Writer

Music has been around for thousands of years, not only used as a way to express feelings but also as a way to show one’s artistic abilities. Music comes in many different forms, such as acoustic (instrumental), or vocal (singing).  While many students participate in many different music classes with choir, band and orchestra, some that their elective helps them in many ways, other than a grade. 

Eighth-grader Lauren Hathaway, who plays the cello as a philharmonic orchestra member, said the music she plays impacts her mood.

“When I play a piece, I receive a different mood depending on the style of music. If it is upbeat or softer,” Hathaway said.  “There is this one song I have listened to called Weightless that is proven to reduce anxiety in individuals anxiety by 65 percent.”

Listening to music can change how people view the world. As stated by http://dana.org/, while listening to a sad song, a person can change from wanting to do something proactive to not wanting to do anything at all.

Classical and calm music has been proven to help toddlers and newborns sleep better and become better thinkers throughout the school. Pop music is a way to get hyped up and motivated, and R&B music is a way to calm down to a tired or chilled out pace, says https://www.connollymusic.com/. Some believe music can heal the brain through mental therapy and remove it from being in a state of shock or have a concussion and make a person act different, whether good or bad.

“I think music is great; it really gets me going and turned up, and I listen to it when I’m doing any daily activity,” eighth-grader, Junior Vaquera, said.

As stated by https://www.health.harvard.edu/ music uses a cognitive part of a person’s brain to make them perceive everything differently. Music can also make people sleep better and have a more regenerative sleep because of the dopamine it releases into their brain. Dopamine makes people feel happy or relaxed in all scenarios. Music affects both sides of the brain but mostly affects right side due to the cognitive muscle being located mostly in that area.

“Music has helped me through a lot of tough things and really can turn a person’s day around for the better, and is such a powerful thing to me. This is because I have always grown up listening to music and have also had multiple family members I love to play instruments,” eighth-grader, Dylan Breaux, said.

Music can be used as a guide while doing an assignment or classwork. In life, music can be a guide in all ways thinkable such as getting the right mindset, achieving a goal, relaxing, and much more. Music can strengthen anyone’s memory and allow them to do many things they could once not do. Another great thing about music is that it can give people an imagination which could inspire them to do greater things than currently.

“Yes for me music can bring back memories of passed relatives, or sad times. This is especially since music has been around since the start of man,” WSMS teacher Amy Gearhart

According to https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/how-music-can-help-you-heal, music is also used as a form of mental healing and stress reliever that everyone needs. Music can be a way to be yourself and calm down from anything thrown at a person. It is said to be the way of the future from many reputable sources. Many music artists make music just to help people and make others days better.

For others, music shapes a way of life.

“Being a music teacher, music affects my daily life,” Gearhart said. “Violin, viola, cello, bass, piano (instruments I play) shaped my life because it is my career.”