‘Ensuring a safe, healthy and happy learning environment’

Administrators are pleased of student support of policy enforcement

Back to Article
Back to Article

Information on school policies and student expectations can be found in the WSMS student handbook. https://1.cdn.edl.io/fLvagH1CcPePPghWLOpv9caDjybSyX1KylzY9k2Y7VruJ36f.pdf

- Olivia Lauter

- Olivia Lauter

- Olivia Lauter

LeopardLife Ally Harris, Bethany McTee, Staff Writers

With buzzing phones, sour candy, and flavored ICE drinks and Starbucks more prevalent in the halls earlier this year, the school administration brought a more focused enforcement of policies regarding food and beverage and cell phone usage  to make for a happy, healthy and clean environment.    

These policies, however, are not new and have been in the student handbook for sometime. The expectations and enforcements of the policies were announced, reminding students of campus expectations in a presentation to students last month. Overall the administration is pleased by students’ response to these policies. 

“These rules were put in place to improve student’s safety and ensure that all kids on this campus have a safe, healthy, and happy learning environment,” assistant principal, James Rodgers, said.    

Most recently, principal Kent Messer commended students during a broadcast of the WSMS TV News last week, praising students for their efforts in following the policies since the campus-wide expectations meeting to students last month.

Rules involving unhealthy food items and phones during class needed a directed approach and focus,which is why there now is a higher level of insistence upon the guidelines, reminders involving phones having to go in the front of the room, no unhealthy drinks or food during instructional time, and all things from the cafeteria must stay in the cafeteria.

“The positives of the ban would be that we have a clean learning environment and more focused students. As far as the negatives of the ban, if a kid wants a snack that could probably limit that, caffeine junkies like me that need a big cup of coffee to get going, you’d probably have to adjust to that, but I don’t think that any of the negatives are absolutes,” Rodgers said.   “I think that they are more or less just adjustments. And we try to work with students so that you can bring water and Gatorade (and stuff like that).”

The phone requirements have students putting electronic devices in the front of the room or at the back of the room in phone holders. Many staff members enjoy these rules, saying that some play on phones during classes distract peers.  Cell phones are allowed for academic purpose given teacher-led direction. Teachers are asked to enforce the rules but are given allowance as needed on a case-by-case basis as needed in their class.

In addition to the regulations on phones, staff noted the guidelines on drinks not being brought outside of the cafeteria. The only drinks allowed on the academic side of the building are water and Gatorade.

“I think that the drink ban is a good idea because they could spill all over the place and these sugary drinks could be bad for your learning, for your body, and for your brain. Although, I think that if you get a small size it will be fine every once and awhile,” seventh-grader, Veronica Nickell, said.

Administrators also stated that there will be more reinforcement on snack privileges, telling students that they are not allowed to have food in class, with the exception of healthy snacks in third and seventh period. Not only can junk food be disruptive to student’s learning, but it can also be harmful to school technology and equipment, school officials said.

“I think that [the food rules] have become more enforced because people don’t clean up after themselves, and it just leaves a mess everywhere,” eighth-grader, Tyler Smith, said.

If students are more careful and cleaner, the pest amount could decrease dramatically. This would result in a better learning environment for anyone in the school.

“I think this ban was put in place because ants and other things could get in our school and that’s not very good because people can get sick,” seventh-grader, Grace Arnold, said.

Many teachers want students to be focused in class and have a clean, positive classroom without distractions or disruptive items out during classes.

“In the mornings is typically when we have our coffees and sonic drinks and such, in the past we’ve had stained carpeting from spills and all that we see is water now and it’s working out great,” Library Media Specialist, Beth Lowry, said.