The impact of movies on today’s world

The Oscars were held on March 4 to choose the best movies of the past year.

-graphic by kaitlyn cole, photographer

-graphic by kaitlyn cole, photographer

LeopardLife Audrey McCaffity, Staff Writer

“And the Oscar goes to” Five simple words, one big meaning. Movies have been around for decades, and every year there is at least one movie critics claim are revolutionary or life-changing. In the past year, movies such as “Wonder Woman” and “The Greatest Showman” are films many believe have had an impact on how society sees the world today.

“‘Spiderman: Homecoming’ was my favorite movie of 2017. ‘Black Panther’ has impacted my life because Shuri is absolutely amazing,” eighth-grader, Chisom Okorafor, said.

For example, “The Greatest Showman” has inspired many individuals to embrace their differences. Based off of P.T. Barnum’s journey as a struggling businessman to a famous ringmaster, the movie has fueled a fire in some to embrace their differences. Another movie that has inspired multiple people is “Wonder,” based off of R.J. Palacio’s novel of the same name.

“There was a movie in 2017 that impacted (me) because I felt very compassionate for the main character who was bullied. I think that the top impactful movie of 2017 was ‘Wonder,’ because it showed the victim’s side of the story, so that you can learn what they feel,” seventh-grader, Jade Owens, said.

Many of the movies nominated for Oscars share stories of people who show passion for important topics of the past or today’s world. Due to these movies’ ability to show different points of view, some people, such as seventh-grader Sydney Legg, are able to receive a new knowledge of what this world is like.

“A movie (that) has affected the way I view the world because they show things from different points of view. I think that ‘Wonder’ was impactful because it is cool and teaches you to be kind. I want to see more ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid’ because it is something that always gives me joy,” Legg said.

Not only do movies allow some people to get a deeper understanding of the world around them, they also allow some to get a break from reality. Some of these movies have the potential to help relieve someone of the stress of the outside world though they are often just fantasy.

“My favorite movie was probably ‘Jumanji’ because I just love the characters that are in it. I’m looking forward to more superhero movies. Other than that I really don’t pay much attention to movies,” Rush said.

Though movies haven’t been around forever, past, present, and future movies have the ability to impact someone’s life in a positive way. No matter what type of genre a movie is it has the ability to affect someone.

“My favorite movie would have to be ‘Thor Ragnarok’ as it was filled to the brim with both thrilling action scenes as well as humourous jokes. It was well produced and met my expectations of Marvel movies,” seventh-grader, Elijah Varghese, said.

Not only can movies impact people in a positive way, but also in negative ways. Some movies try to portray difficult topics, but they don’t always get the right point across in the correct way. This can add to the growing number of problems in today’s world.

“One movie that has affected me in a good way was a simple film, ‘The Lorax.The Lorax’ gave me a new view of the importance of keeping the earth healthy. It inspired me and made me seek change,” Varghese said. “The way the movie is presented is comedic, animated fashion while the topic items symbolize real world issues.”