Student safety is ‘number one goal’

-photo by Zayd Pearson

-photo by Zayd Pearson

LeopardLife Mathias Alling, staff writer

A group goes up to present to the class and all of a sudden, is interrupted as the fire alarm sounds and the whole class drops everything and the group misses their presentation.

With fires, inclement weather, and other concerns, routine drills are tasked to ensure student safety school officials said in any situation.

“Our number one goal in the school is to ensure the students’ safety, to make sure they feel secure and safe in school,”  WSMS principal, Kent Messer, said.

Educators support the drills because they believe that taking part in the drills with the students and staff will better prepare them for an emergency situation such as a fire in the school or a tornado in the area. Teachers also believe that a little time out of an activity is worth it to ensure safety for everyone in the building.

“I think the biggest reason we have these safety practices is we are able to see the structure of what we would do in an actual drill, and change the drills to improve them,” WSMS Li-Z counselor, Kay Bordelon, said.

Students practice many drills at Willow Springs, some are self-explanatory like the fire drill, which is an evacuation of the building in case of a fire. The lockdown drill is used to keep everyone secure if there’s an intruder in the building, the drill lasts until the intruder is apprehended, or an event that occurs outside of the building is out of the control of administrators. A lockout is what the school is doing every day since the school’s perimeter is secure from anyone trying to get in. The tornado drill can be used for other weather situations besides tornadoes.

Severe rain or anything else weather-related is included, but the way the drill is carried out exactly, the small details and such, depending on exactly what type of weather the drill is being used for.

“Well the fire drill is what we would do in a fire, the tornado drill is for weather, and the lockdown is to keep everyone safe for a number of things,” Bordelon said.

“Like if an intruder came in or if there was even a student who felt unsafe for one reason or another. While the lockout drill is to secure our perimeter, which is was we are doing every day. With all of the key card doors, no one can just walk in if they want.”

“I believe drills are a necessity and I am for them! It is worth it to take time out of the day to keep students and staff safe,” WSMS art teacher, Jenny Slaver, said.

While drills may interrupt class time, student safety is paramount, educators said.

Most students support drills because it prepares them for emergency situations.

“I think the drills are good, but I would like a little warning beforehand and better direction,” seventh-grader, Ethan Cooper, said.One advantage to doing the drills is the school are able to change procedure beforehand, an example of this is in a tornado they changed the student release for students in a tornado by moving the front office to a safe location.

“If any student ever has information to keep our school safe,” Bordelon said. “They should notify an adult immediately.”