China celebrates Year of the Dog

People around the world celebrated Chinese New Year on Feb. 16.

-graphic by Olivia Lauter

LeopardLife Ahmed Bouafif, Staff Writer

On Friday, February 16, people from all around the world celebrated Chinese New Year in different ways, including apps taking on a festive theme or people celebrating at home.

Many people are unaware of what the Chinese New Year is about. Some might think it is the normal new year which is celebrating the turn of a year. However, it has a long history and many traditions that differ from the normal new year celebration.

“I think the Chinese New Year is about celebrating a new beginning,” seventh-grader, Cecile Zhang, said.

According to The Chinese Zodiac, 2018 signifies a year of happiness and rest for most people. Some celebrate the Chinese New Year by having a party, but there are also other traditions like participating in zodiacs.

“I celebrate Chinese New Year by having a big party. Chinese New Year affects people today by making them do zodiac signs and other things. Chinese New Year represents the beginning of a new year. The reason they have 12 animals is that they represent each month because an emperor put 12 animals in a race and they would get the month they get by the race,” said Zhang.

Not many people believe in zodiac calendar, so the majority of people do it for fun. But the people that do it go all out. In places like China, for example, they have parades. These celebrations usually consist of eating gourmet food such as dumplings.  

“I celebrate Chinese New Year by going to my grandma and eat a lot of Asian food and meeting a lot of people,” seventh-grader, Christian Lee, said.

Celebrations for the Chinese New Year can be a small gathering or a big festival. The festivals last for about 23 days, ending on the 15th day of the first lunar month in the following year in the Chinese calendar.

“Chinese New Year represents the beginning of a new year. This holiday affects people today by making them celebrate Chinese New Year,” Lee said.

Chinese new year came to be when an emperor wanted 12 animals for every month these animals include a rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig. Each animal repeats every 12 years. 2018 is the Year of the Dog.

“The reason they have 12 animals that represent because an emperor put 12 animals in a race and they would get the month they get by the race,” Zhang said.

Many customs include reunion dinners, eating dumplings, staying up all night, setting off firecrackers, and other activities. These are some of the most popular customs of the Spring Festival. In ancient times, after the reunion dinner, families members chatted around the stove while waiting for the arrival of the Lunar New Year.

Chinese New Year has affected the world in many ways. From it becoming a widely spread holiday in America to apps on phone updates with Chinese New Year.