YouTube’s impact on teens

The effects can be positive or negative depending on the video and the viewer

More than five billon  videos are viewed daily on YouTube.  The impact of these videos can be positive or negative.

-photo credit courtesy of YouTube

More than five billon videos are viewed daily on YouTube. The impact of these videos can be positive or negative.

LeopardLife Katya Wise, Section Editor, Ahmed Bouafif, Staff Writer

Social media has become a crucial part of teen life. YouTube, being one of the biggest platforms online, has the ability to influence viewers, either in a positive or negative way.

Near the start of 2018, one of the fastest growing YouTubers, Logan Paul, posted a controversial video that immediately received backlash. The video has since been taken down and Logan posted an apology video as well as a written apology over Twitter. After the uproar of comments from viewers and even other social media influencers stating their opinions on the situation. YouTube had taken Paul off of his YouTube Red show “Foursome”, and has been removed from Google’s preferred ad-program.

“I think it was very disgusting of what he put on the Internet. I feel like he should’ve of had further action than his YouTube Red show removed,” seventh-grader, Adam Greenwald, said.

Social media has the ability to affect people’s emotions as well. Studies show that people can compare themselves to those with fame that they see on the Internet and put themselves down because they aren’t living as wild of a life as the influencer.

“There is a lot of science around social media. And a couple of studies that have really interested me is that heavy users of social media, people who use social media a lot, tend to be sadder, and tend to have poor self-esteem than people who aren’t using as much social media. I think it’s because they compare and contrast themselves to people they see on social media,” WSMS Li-Z counselor, Kay Bordelon, said.

Bordelon added that videos can make individuals less sensitive to violence, accepting what is inappropriate by most social standards as a norm when they are are not.

“I think sometimes the things that we see in videos can make us less sensitive. If we watch a lot of violent videos then we become less sensitive to violence and aren’t shocked by it. If we are watching videos where people are cursing then we become less sensitive to the cursing. Also, if we see videos that are inspiring or uplifting, those can help boost our moods. I think that videos can kind of change who we are,” Bordelon said.

However, Logan isn’t the only one to blame for this controversy. After the video was posted YouTube, which handpicks their top stories, this video was put as No. 1. This caused many viewers to be enraged that YouTube was promoting this.

“It was taken very out of hand and I don’t think that it should have ever occurred, especially on a YouTube channel based for children and teens. This is a very serious event and we should not be laughing about this, this needs to be addressed instantly. Luckily, it has been addressed and the video has been taken down, but for all the people who have seen this, I’m sorry, and I’m sorry to the family as well. YouTube is a place for all creators to express their feelings. Youtube has inspired me since the age of 10 and I still watch it to this day,” seventh-grader, Camaron Morelli, said.

YouTube has grown over the years from a small community to a large platform that shapes teens today. There have been a lot of new creators on YouTube since its launch, including big ones and small ones.

“YouTube is a social media where anything can be filmed and posted. YouTube has really grown because it used to be really small,” eighth-grader, Hannah Oliver said.