Taking matters to heart saves lives

Having a healthy heart prolongs longevity of life.

-courtesy photo Pixabay

LeopardLife Audrey McCaffity, Bethany McTee and Alexandra Harris, Staff Writers

Having a happy heart. Taking matters to heart. Getting to the heart of an issue. These idioms often show individuals just how important the heart is when taken literally. One message, involving Friday’s dance, is clear: having a healthy heart, saves lives.

-courtesy photo
Proceeds from Friday’s social will benefit the American Heart Association, whose message is “Life is Why.”

As WSMS teenagers plan to rock out to music during the school dance Friday, they may not make the connection between participating in the dance, will affect the community as well as themselves. 

What do matters of the heart mean to students, one might ask? Is it more than having someone to dance with or a date to Friday’s dance.  This message regarding heart health is clear to physicians and medical professionals. Do they differ from physicians and doctors?

For physicians, encouraging patients to keep a healthy heart is important.

“I would say arrhythmias is the most common heart issue we see in teenagers…sometimes you treat this with medicines and you could fix this with a procedure called ablation,” Director of Cardiovascular Services at Baylor McKinney Medical Center, Dr. Martin Weiss, said.

People of all ages are affected by heart problems. From heart attacks to heart murmurs, teens, athletes, and students can all be affected. If heart diseases are left undetected, there is a possibility of tragedy.

“If heart issues are left undetected in athletes, it can cause serious arrhythmias, irregular too fast or too slow heartbeats. And if those arrhythmias are left unchecked, it could sometimes result in death,” Weiss said.

At the beginning of the year, along with the routine physical for athletes, a heart scan is also available. This heart scan is able to detect heart disease that could save an athlete’s life.  

“We do EKG’s with the sports physicals in the summer if your parents elect to have that done,” WSMS Nurse, Gretchen Young, said.

Many middle schoolers participated in “Jump Rope for Heart” in elementary school.  Some students said they learned from this how to be heart healthy. Others also learned about keeping their heart healthy based off of relatives past heart issues.

“I think heart issues in teens should be more widely known because its a problem that needs to be taken care of. My uncle was affected by a heart condition and he lost control of his right arm and his left leg, so it makes it harder to do things for him,” seventh-grader, Caden Carlock, said.

Anybody could help out with spreading the word about heart conditions. The problem is ongoing, but with awareness, the number of athletes affected could decline.

“What I would want to get across to the teenage population is that the key to being heart healthy is starting heart-healthy lifestyles early in life. Which means that in your youth, you want to be developing good habits like exercising, eating right, and definitely not smoking!” Weiss said.