Freezing temps and power outages impact Collin County residents, WSMS students and staff

-graphic by Sydney Stout

-graphic by Sydney Stout

LeopardLife Sam Walton, Business Manager, with Zach Dillard, Adam Mendelson, Anthony Morgello and Elaina Johnson, staff writers

Although Texas doesn’t usually get extremely cold weather, Winter temperatures hit below freezing for many people recently from Monday night, throughout Tuesday through Thursday and are expected to continue with an expected temp rise toward the end of the week.

Collin County residents rarely see freezing temperatures, but last week’s weather caused many problems in the Lovejoy community. From power to water; this Winter’s temperatures have been creating problems all around the city of Allen. Pipes have been broken, water has been frozen,  and power has been shutting down.

An eighth-grade student, Lindsey Hughes, had no hot water due to freezing pipes for two days from the frigid temps.

“They froze in the morning yesterday and today. It defrosts in the evening so we are able to use warm water in the evening,” Hughes said.

Tech support individual at WSMS could not come into work Thursday due to a bursting water pipe/faucet at his home. Lovejoy had to bring in support tech staff as a result.

With freezing temperatures, utilities working is crucial.

Alex Roman, operations supervisor for Lovejoy ISD worked on a blower motor of a heating unit that made a WSMS classroom colder and limited heating on Wednesday and part of Thursday.  Although this was not a result of the weather, but wear and tear, the classroom soon restored heat. Some heaters are electrical and some use gas heat, which can be impacted by the weather.

“A lot of people have been using natural gas for their furnaces. The demand for natural gas is high and it’s been causing problems,” Roman said.

Last week a power outage not resulting from the weather impacted a great number of individuals in Lucas area, including WSMS middle school.

WSMS campus power flashed on Monday morning, January 8 at 12:51 PM. This outage also impacted at least 800 people using Grayson County Electric.  Last week’s outage resulted from a tree falling on a power line causing a power blink. A blink is when the power goes out and comes back immediately or shortly thereafter.

“The outage was caused by a tree limb hitting one of the lines throughout the community, and was not planned,” said a Grayson County spokesperson.

This blink in the power effected about 800 people, but the electric company transferred the power and managed to have the power come back on.