Cross country snatches district

Matt Murray leads with Riley McGowan following pace.

-photo by Eliza Coit, rosette yearbook staff

LeopardLife Sam Walton, Business Manager and Mckinley Benthuysen, Staff Writer

-photo by Eliza Coit, yearbook editor
Seventh grade girls and boys and eighth grade boys took first, while eighth grade girls took second in the season.

Lovejoy’s cross country team had a long running season that came to an end with three wins and one second at district.

For the past four months, cross country has been running outside of school and in school in preparation.

Trails for the team’s practice are the track behind the WSMS, the neighborhood next to the school, and the eld behind the school next to the tennis courts. If it rains lightly, the team runs on the track, but anything more than that such as thunder or heavy rain, and practice will either be canceled or moved to one of the gyms.

“(Cross country’s) been good. We’ve won all the meets so far,” seventh-grader, Elizabeth Esposito, said.

Many students choose cross country as a sport to get better at running, or to practice for another sport, because, almost every sport involves running. Besides, this many athletes just love to run and use it as a sport instead of something to do to get better at another sport.

-photo by Eliza Coit, yearbook photo editor
Seventh-grader Amy Morefield finished strong in the cross country season, placing first.

“(I chose cross country because) I wanted to get better for soccer,” eighth-grader, Aaron Yount, said.

The cross country team has had two meets so far. The rst meet, the team swept the meet, winning seventh-grade boys, eighth- grade boys, seventh-grade girls, and eighth- grade girls. The second meet, the same thing happened and Lovejoy swept the meet again.

In their third meet, believe it or not, they won all races again. All they have to do is win the district meet on Dec.12 and the whole team has gone undefeated. The only time a Lovejoy cross country team went undefeated

It gives me passion, hard work, and determination to be great,” eighth-grader, Katie Armstrong, said.

Earlier in the year, the high school team came to the middle school to tell them about their win in the state championship, the dedica- tion they made for it, and answered any ques- tions some of the middle school runners may have.

-photo by Eliza Coit
Eighth-grader Riley McGowan prepped for district during a race at WSMS then took a strong finish with fourth at district. McGowan paced himself with teammate Matt Murray at district.

“(Cross country) turned out to be really fun. I like how you can run with other people while you practice and in meets,” Yount said.

Eighth-grader Riley McGowan placed fourth and said his run at district improved compared to other meets.
“ I got a lot better because I tried to stay with Matt (Murray) who was able to pace me almost the entire race. So I was able to stay with guys who were faster than me.

Cross country is team sport that helps you stay with your teammates, this helps your time and that of the team,’ McGowan said. It helps the entire teams points. McGowan placed fourth, Murray took second.