Top tips for avoiding the flu

Washing hands is helpful for keeping away the flu virus.

-illustration by adam mendelson

-illustration by adam mendelson

LeopardLife Ahmed Bouafif, Audrey McCaffity, and Elaina Johnson, Staff Writers

With the constant chills, muscle aches, and fever, the flu season is in full swing. More than 7,000 cases have been confirmed in the U.S., and more and more students are going home each day with the flu.

“My brother has the flu and it has been hard for him. My family has been giving him medicine and lots of sleep,” seventh-grader, Kylie Johnson, said.

H3N2, or influenza A, is the virus that is spreading the most this year, due to the vaccine being only 10% effective against it. Flu A causes the most serious cases of the flu every year. Therefore, flu season has started off strong this year.

“I have had the flu before, and I got better by having lots of sleep and I took medicine.The flu spreads by touching other people. Some changes to prevent the flu are like covering your mouth when you sneeze,” seventh-grader, Bekah Green, said.            

The flu is contagious from one day before symptoms start, to about seven days after. This means that even if somebody may not be showing symptoms of the flu they could still be contagious. Being unable to decipher if someone has the flu makes it easier for the flu to spread around places such as school.

“I have had the flu, and I got better by lots of sleep and medicine. Some changes could be done to prevent the flu like washing your hands and taking flu shots. I think it spreads when people touch each other,” seventh-grader, William Parkhurst, said.

Due to the many kids that attend public schools, germs can spread easily. When one student gets the flu, many others are susceptible to the virus as well. By doing simple things like coughing into an elbow, individuals are more likely to not spread the flu. Washing hands before and after coming into contact with an infected person can also be beneficial.

“You should always wash your hands and stay clean. You should also stay away from people who have the flu or are sick. You should sneeze or cough in your arm so you don’t spread germs,” seventh-grader, Cole Ternan, said.

According to www.healthline.com, there are many types of symptoms that the flu can show, like fatigue, body aches, chills, coughing, sore throat, and fever. Sudden, excessive fatigue is one of the earliest signs of the flu, and it may appear before other symptoms. Fatigue is also a symptom of the common cold, but is normally more severe with the flu.

In the first week of December, flu virus reports have increased. Three adjoining schools in Texas have been closed for two days due to the flu spreading rapidly, so to delay the flu from spreading the administrators had to shut down the school.

“I have had the flu and I got better by staying home and having lots of sleep and take medicine that the doctor said for me to take. Some changes that could prevent the flu are cover your nose when you sneeze and when you cover your mouth and wash your hands everyday and don’t touch other people that are sick,” Ternan said.

For more information look at our article, “How to NOT fall victim to the flu,” at https://leopardlife.net/5226/uncategorized/how-to-not-fall-victim-to-the-flu/