Decades of the classic movie franchise meet in “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”

Many worldwide have anticipated the release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

-photo courtesy of engadget.com

-photo courtesy of engadget.com

LeopardLife Tyler Call, Sports Editor

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, a new “Star Wars” movie was released on Dec. 14. With Luke Skywalker just having been located on a deserted island, fans around the globe were excited to see what will happen next.

The last “Star Wars” movie was “Rogue One,” which was released in 2016. In this upcoming film, many new characters were added to the series, including Rey, portrayed by Daisy Ridley, a homeless peasant who lives alone on the planet of Jakku. Also, there was Finn, played by John Boyega, a new stormtrooper with a fear of killing. When Finn escapes the Republic and finds himself crashing onto the planet of Jakku, he teams up with Rey and heads to the Rebellion headquarters. There, they plan a way to defeat the galactic empire by blowing up their planet, “Starkiller Base.” The story ends with Rey heading to the planet of Ahch-To, where she finds Luke Skywalker, the famous Jedi who had been hiding there for many years.

“I’m super excited because it’s been awhile since they made the last Star Wars movie and I just love them,” seventh-grader, Trenton Warriner, said.

This December, the release of Star Wars “The Last Jedi,” hit theaters, being the eighth movie in the series. In this movie, fans are excited to see what happens between Rey and Luke. Kylo Ren, portrayed by Adam Driver, had just been in a fight with Rey but was able to escape alive. Kylo Ren was another new character released into the series. He is the son of Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher.)

“I think it was revolutionary to the entire Star Wars franchise, and it really changed my opinion about Disney films being more serious,” eighth-grader, Gavin Chaisson, said. “The ending especially through me for a loop, I mean no one was expecting that. It basically felt like watching every Star Wars movie in one sitting with all the information and action that was in it. It was great.”

During the production of the film, Carrie Fisher died due to cardiac arrest. However, Fisher was able to finish her acting before her death, so she will be fully seen in the movie, though fans were curious about how Rian Johnson, the director, will add the death of Carrie Fisher into the story.

“I think it’s really awesome. I really wanna see it because there’s gonna be like so many changes to the story,” eighth-grader, Isaac Vinson, said.

Fans were disappointed to experience the death of a popular Star Wars character, Han Solo. Solo was first seen in Star Wars Episode IV, “A New Hope.” Ford’s Han Solo plays the role of a Rebellion pilot, known for his humorous charm and furry sidekick, Chewbacca.

“It looks really cool. I like how they’re incorporating new characters on both sides and new Jedis now,” eighth-grader, Jay Hendrix, said.

With Disney’s purchase of Lucasfilm in 2012 for $4 Billion, Disney has taken Star Wars to new heights. In 2016, Disney released a new film, Rogue One, with an all-new cast. The movie still follows the original story, but is only a flashback to earlier. The movie takes place in the years between “Revenge of the Sith,” and “A New Hope”. In the third film, the Galactic Empire destroys almost all the Jedi, leaving the Rebellion hopeless. At the end of the film, Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader, and Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa are born.

“It was super good and it’s really funny here and there. I would highly recommend it and would give it a 10-out-of-10,” eighth-grader, Connor Dunn, said.

In “A New Hope,” Darth Vader is shown as the leader of the Galactic, and the strongest threat in the galaxy. Both Luke and Leia have grown up, but are unaware of each other’s relation to one another. The 16 years between these two movies remained untold, until the release of Rogue One.

So now as December rolls around, the wait is finally over for the new release. Fans are tumultuous to see what Disney has in store, and if the force is still strong in the Rebellion.