The holidays continue minus one long-time Fairview elf

Letters+can+still+be+mailed+to+Santa+in+the+North+Pole%2C+but+town+of+Fairview+officials+and+residents+are+saddened+by+the+passing+of+one+of+Santa%27s+helpers%2C+Big+Guy.+
Letters can still be mailed to Santa in the North Pole, but town of Fairview officials and residents are saddened by the passing of one of Santa's helpers, Big Guy.

Bryan Smile and Town of Fairview courtesy photo

LeopardLife Bethany McTee and Ally Harris, Staff Writers, with help from Margo Friloux

-courtesy photo by Beth Lowry
The Lowry family had been visiting the Fairview Santa’s helper the past 15 years.

This holiday season,  the holiday will continue minus one Fairview Santa’s helper who helped assure Christmas gifts were placed beneath spruce, fir and pine trees the past 18 years for area youth and children, Fairview town officials said.

The longtime town of Fairview Santa’s helper, known as ‘The Big Guy’, was working at the Fairview Town Center when he became ill last week. Santa’s helper later went to the hospital and on Tuesday, Dec. 5 was relieved of his duties that day. It was later shared that he went to the North Pole to never come back due to a medical emergency, passing away. 

Big Guy (Santa’s helper) worked and shared holiday cheer for more than 18 years. Part of his duties included delivering news to Santa.  Numerous area children sat on his lap and shared their Christmas list many years.  A mailbox still sits at the town center in Fairview, where individuals may still mail their letters to the jolly St. Nicholas since Big Guy is not available to whisper in Santa’s ear. 

Town officials suggest individuals may consider honoring the loss of Big Guy with a moment of silence in remberance of Big Guy. 

“Students and children could do this at the beginning of the day or anytime they have a chance,” Fairview Mayor Darion Culbertson said.

“This Santa was just a helper, yet he was still very important to the operation of Christmas. He will always be remembered for his generosity and help toward Santa and people all around the world,” Culbertson said.

Other individuals shared their recollections of the Fairview elf.

“I remember seeing the Fairview Santa every year since I was like maybe one-years-old,” WSMS seventh-grader Reagan Seib said.  “It was really sad because it is an end of an era with family photos with Santa.  I hope that his family still is comforted by their loss.

Parents and staff of WSMS are also saddened by the loss.

“He was Santa for my kids for 15 years,” WSMS Library Media Specialist Beth Lowry said, who took her boys, ages six and 14 years.  “In fact, we saw him (Santa/Big Guy) the week before his passing.  It was our best visit ever. ”

Lowry added people are never too old for Santa.

“After Santa visited with my youngest, he and my older son compared hunting stories.  It was awesome. I even made him take a picture with Santa and a group picture, much to my oldest son’s protest.”

Town officials said many parents and children are giving letters to St. Nick through Fairview Town Center, sending love his way and remembering the town helper. 

“He  (The Big Guy) cared for every child that he met and was thought to be part of the family,” Mayor  Culbertson said. Many on social media are saddened and are posting about his passing.