Holiday gift-DIY gifts suggestions

Homemade holiday gifts can be fun creating and giving.

-photo by adam mendelson, staff photographer

LeopardLife Ally Harris, Staff Writer

With glue, glitter, and scraps, unique, handmade gifts are made throughout the country. Many create personal Christmas presents for their friends and family. Some individuals think it can be very wonderful to open a gift underneath the tree and receive a thoughtful creation.

“I like getting handmade crafts on Christmas because it’s nice to get special gifts from family and friends that are unique. You never know what kind of craft you will get so it will always be a surprise,” seventh-grader, Gracelin Scholle, said.

These fun holiday gifts can be very enjoyable, but some don’t know if it is worth the time. One can easily get a gift for someone off the internet or in a store the receiver will enjoy, but handmade gifts are thought to have the same quality.

“I think overall it is worth the time to make a handmade gift. If you start early enough, you should have plenty of time to get it ready before Christmas,” seventh-grader, Taylor Platz, said.

While online gifts are easy and can be unique if one looks hard enough, handmade craft gifts can, a lot of times, be more personal. Anyone can order or buy something from the store as a Christmas present. However, if one creates their own gift, it will always be one-of-a-kind.

“I believe that handmade gifts are more personal than online gifts because when someone takes time to create a unique gift, you know they really care. When they give an individual gift, they did all the hard work and effort for you,” Scholle said.

As handmade gifts are often thought to be outstanding, online- and store-bought gifts can still be a good present idea. People don’t always have endless time to construct unique gifts for each and every one of one’s family members and friends.

“I think a mixture of homemade and online gifts can be good because you make something cute that’s handmade and then give them something that they’ve really wanted from online. This way they’ll receive what they really were hoping to get, and they’ll also enjoy a gift that is original, cute, and personal,” Platz said.

Many kids have, in the past, made holiday crafts for people they know. Students, adults, and people of any age can create handmade winter gifts. All someone has to do is be willing to spend the time to create something so unique.

“I have actually created handmade gifts for my family in the past that were very enjoyable to make. It was personal coasters and mugs for my aunts and cousins. So overall I feel like they probably appreciate the thought and the gift itself,” Platz said.

Many create these thoughtful gifts and appreciate receiving creative gifts as well. Teachers, students, and adults can enjoy the fun of handmade presents and enjoy online- or store-bought gifts on Christmas morning.

“I would appreciate a handmade craft gift, but I would also like receiving something that I really want from a store somewhere,” Texas history teacher, Marty Locke, said.