Focusing on upcoming finals

Study tips suggested

Pacing one's self and setting priorities are keys to success outlined in an advisory session with students on Friday, Dec. 8.

-photo by staff

-photo by staff

LeopardLife Bethany McTee and Ahmed Bouafif, Staff Writers

With heads dropping onto homework, pulling all-nighters to try and ace a test, studying can be stressful some students said.. But if one knows the right way to do it, then it could be a very simple school officials agree.

Students overviewed a priorities checklist and took a self-test  during advisory sessions at WSMS on Friday, Dec. 8 to help student gain insight and preparedness for upcoming finals, which begin on Friday, Dec. 15.

Other students gave insights and other information on the interwebs on test-taking and study strategies.

One of the scientifically proven ways for helpful studying is called the Pomodoro technique: using a timer to track 25 minutes of hard studying, and then take a five-minute break before going back to studying. If one uses this method until they are done, it is proven that they will stay more focused.

“I will come to tutoring and will just rewrite and reread my topics and my material to study. I will take breaks in between and sing and play guitar to just let my brain relax, so I can get more information up in there,” seventh-grader, Sydney Legg, said.

There are many more ways to study, like taking notes, rereading material, and asking others to quiz you. Students can also make study groups and sessions to go over the same topics. There are many other ways to study like tutoring sessions and even just taking a few seconds to look at a certain material.

“I study a lot and when I study I make a lot of notes and flashcards. After I made them I will just review them and study as hard as I can. When I feel good about my topic I will ask my parents to quiz me and ask questions to see if I know the material. I also take breaks in between because I get bored easily and I have to move around because I can’t sit still for a long time. I just have to stop so I can get my brain focused again, but I will usually study for a few hours,”seventh-grader Michela Amablie said.

Studying can result in good grades by knowing your topics or material. This can help someone be more knowledgeable, and help in the future by getting a good job. Studying might also help someone be prepared for future classes or studies.

“My method of studying for a test usually involves me reviewing what I need to study on Quizlet,” eighth-grader, Chloe Dorlon, said.

Studying can lead to job opportunities and good grades. According to Education Corner, the key to having an effective studying method is learning how to study smarter, not harder. Having a song to help study your lava words or having a method that does not waste a lot of time may help you do better.

“I take time out of my everyday life and pay attention in class. My method helps me because I do good on my test. Depending on how hard the concepts are like math and English I would study for an hour and a half and like science and social studies will take an hour. I take breaks in between so don’t get restless,” seventh-grader, Elizabeth Esposito, said.

Time management could be the key to get the most of an individual’s work. If someone studies for an hour, then takes a 15-minute break, they can process the information they are studying, but if an individual watches TV or reads a book, they could lose some of that information that they just went over. So taking 15- to 30-minute power nap or going eat something healthy, someone can remember better and they will not have to study as long according to HowtoStudy.org.

“I like studying with my friends because we share answers and it goes faster. My method helps me because my friends are smart and so am I. I study for maybe 30 minutes to an hour every day. I don’t take any long breaks because want to get it over with so can have fun. I use a pencil and sometimes technology and my mind to help me study,” seventh-grader, George Garcia, said.