LeopardLife newspaper and Rosette yearbook earn national journalism recognition

LeopardLife Will Doig, Staff Writer

The 2017 WSMS newspaper was entered in Best of Show Nov. 16-19 in the Dallas National Student Press Conference/Journalism Educators Association convention at the Hyatt Regency.

LeopardLife’s May issue received third place at the convention with more than 2,000 students in attendance.  Middle school students comprised about 25 percent of those in attendance.  Rosette Yearbook from WSMS placed in the top 10, receiving 8th.

An American school in London, England took first place and a middle school in Los Angeles, California was awarded second place. Many of the newspaper students expected to do well in the year for newspaper, but might not have thought they would be top three to receive best of show, they said.

To be honest, I was quite surprised that we took 3rd place. At first, I didn’t even know we submitted anything. I was very excited when I got the text saying we got 3rd, especially after hearing how many schools we were competing with,” Claire Easley, Editor-in-Chief, said.

Journalism Advisor and Department Lead Nicole Sanders and Broadcast Adviser Barb Smith attended the convention, where Sanders judged three other non-related events and spoke on news writing.

“I am always proud of my students each and every day.  However, the fact that their hard work and efforts paid off with a national recognition is that much sweeter,” Sanders said.

Students from The Red Ledger at Lovejoy High School also received numerous awards including a Broadcast Pacemaker, Photo of the Year, Story of the Year and other awards.