Football team ends ‘strong’ with hope for new seasons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leopards score a touchdown as other players cheer them on- photo by Preston Jones

LeopardLife Tyler Call, Sports Editor

As the football season comes to an end for eighth- and seventh-grade teams. The coaches are overjoyed with the outcome of the season. The seventh-grade red team ended as undefeated district champions with a record of 8-0 and the seventh-grade black team ended with a record of 5-2-1. The eighth-grade red team ended with a record of 4-3-1 and the eighth-grade black team ended with a record of 6-2.

“Football season went good, but we did take some loses. We did pretty well and I feel like it was fun playing. I mean the two games I did play it was really fun,” Parker Pritz, eighth-grade running back, said.

Brad Fuller, seventh-grade football head coach and Texas history teacher, played college football at Oklahoma State University and even participated in the Aztec Bowl during that time.

“The football season for me was a lot of competition for me against other running backs especially those of the same talent, but you know I’m the fastest,” Daely Phillips, eighth-grade running back, said.

Jeff Higgins is coach for the seventh-grade football teams. Higgins had been working hard with the seventh-grade wide receivers and cornerbacks. He even has experience being a high school coach and coaches basketball at Willow Springs as well.

“I thought the football season went pretty good, and I wish we could’ve played a little better on the offense and defense. But overall it was really good and I had lots of fun,” Tyler Smith, eighth-grade wide receiver, said.

Christopher Osborne is one of the coaches for the eighth-grade football teams. Coach Osborne was working very hard with the eighth-grade football teams.

I thought that the eighth grade B-team had a terrific season. The season was full of big plays on the offensive and defensive end. I could not be more proud of how well these boys played throughout the year. I think they could continue to improve on tackling and their mental toughness. I thought that the eighth-grade A-team had a terrific season. The season was full of big plays on the offensive and defensive end. I could not be more proud of how well these boys played throughout the year. I think they could continue to improve on play execution,” Osborne said.

Coach Jerry Quinton has been with Lovejoy ISD for eight years. He played East Central University where he was a college baseball player. Quinton played outfielder and pitcher in college. He is currently the Boys Athletics Coordinator and head coach of the eighth-grade football team. He also is the head coach for wrestling and track.

The middle schoolers played their last game against Curtis Middle School. Both eighth- grade teams won and seventh-grade black lost and seventh-grade red won. With the season ending, eighth-grade players look forward to heading into high school football. For now however, many are joining wrestling, while others are joining basketball.