How to NOT fall victim to the flu

More+than+200%2C000+people+are+hospitalized+each+year+from+the+flu+and+49%2C000+die+from+complications+of+the++flu.++Shown+here+are+bacteria+cultures+collected+from+surfaces+around+Willow+Springs.+
More than 200,000 people are hospitalized each year from the flu and 49,000 die from complications of the  flu.  Shown here are bacteria cultures collected from surfaces around Willow Springs.

More than 200,000 people are hospitalized each year from the flu and 49,000 die from complications of the flu. Shown here are bacteria cultures collected from surfaces around Willow Springs.

-Mathias Alling

-Mathias Alling

LeopardLife Mathias Alling and Margo Friloux, Staff Writers

– graphic by India Ingham
Washing hands and not sharing drinking or eating utensils helps prevent the transfer of the flu and other viruses.

Lurking on surfaces, insidiously lingering to spread and infect innocent bystanders: the flu eagerly awaits to grab its next victim.

Simply touching a keyboard, doorknob, or light switch, then rubbing one’s nose or eyes transmits thousands of bacteria viruses causing colds, the flu, and other viruses.  There are ways to prevent these infections, however.

Some people don’t know when to go to the doctor to check for the flu because of the range of symptoms that can occur which make it harder to identify the flu from symptoms alone.

“It will be fever, body aches, coughing, sore throat, chills, tiredness, sinus congestion, dizziness, headache, weakness, etc. There are a lot of symptoms that can show the flu. You can even get the flu without having a fever. So make sure to wipe down anything that has been touched and if you have ad the flu make sure to throw away your toothbrush because it has germs from your sickness,” Young said.

The flu can put people out of commission for many days and will affect school work, which will lower amount of free time. Students could be missing possible assignments that they now have to do at home.

“I think the worst part about having the flu is that you have to miss school and that means that you have a lot of missing work. You also feel really tired and you feel like you can’t do anything,” seventh-grader, Bella Levin, said.

Teachers and coaches shared their thoughts on missed classwork.  Some shared it is easier to catch up on missed work but that does not account for the direct instruction or time lost. 

“It’s not too difficult to catch them up since we have most things online with Google classroom so they can follow at home,” Athletic Director, Coach and Technology Teacher, Jerry Quinton, said.

There are ways that can be used to avoid the flu, and Willow Springs students have a couple ways on their own as well.

“You should always wash your hands and stay clean. You should also stay away from people who have the flu or are sick. You should sneeze or cough in your arm so you don’t spread germs,” Levin said.

Getting sick and missing school can be hard to catch up on. Students can accumulate days missed and suffer other complications if infected with the flu. If Tamiflu is involved the doctor will give the receiver a set time before they can resume school.

“It depends on your symptoms but you can lose four to five days of school. After your symptoms subside you have to wait 24 hours before you can return to school and if you get Tamiflu from your doctor they will usually give you an amount of time before you can return. You must be fever, vomit, and diarrhea-free before you can return to school. The fever is defined as over or equal to 100.0 degrees,” said Young.