Ned Fowler Takes the Season

Ned Fowler, or Coach Fowler, led many teams on the court.  Now he leads his grandson, Will Doig, in a family and sport tradition.

-courtesy photo

Ned Fowler, or Coach Fowler, led many teams on the court. Now he leads his grandson, Will Doig, in a family and sport tradition.

LeopardLife Sam Walton, Business Manager, and Will Doig, Sports Writer

His hands now worn, Ned Fowler once dribbled many basketballs and have been used to coach countless others, passing and dribbling basketball after basketball as the lineage moved on from player to player, from Tyler, Texas Robert E. Lee High School and moved onto NBA All-Star Jimmy Butler, and also coaching at Stephen F. Austin and Tulane Universities.  Now that basketball passes on in Fowler’s own family line, to his grandson, Will Doig, a WSMS seventh-grade student.

Fowler’s  record reflected his coaching success at the high school level and later joined the Tyler Junior College in Tyler, coaching  NBA All-Star Jimmy Butler, who currently plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves.  

“I played all sports in high school, but I probably liked basketball the best. I was later fortunate to get a head coaching job in a large high school at a young age. I had a super record at two large high schools then got a head coach job at Tyler JC. I received national exposure by making it to two National JC tournaments in my three years there then got into a major college,” Fowler, former coach of the Tulane Green Wave, said.

Will Doig, like his grandfather, is playing basketball and plans on trying out for the Lovejoy 7th-grade basketball team.

“I play basketball because I love it, but [Ned Fowler] has influence in it too,” Doig said.

Ned’s team, the Tulane Green Wave, is the ninth-oldest basketball venue in the nation. Although he retired in 1996, he gave the team his coaching experience for 15 years.

“[What I liked most about coaching was the] associations with players and fans, plus winning,” Fowler said.

Ned’s coaching career has made an influence in basketball history. Many take his experience and put it into play. This coach has shown a few ups and downs, but he also showed experience in his teaching and playing. Ned’s passion for the game still lives on to this day, and his knowledge of the sport will leave an impact in the history of basketball.

“[I] formulated my own ideas and beliefs through trial and error, then developing offensive and defensive schemes based on my player’s skills and abilities,” Fowler said.

Fowler coached at the JC and went 31-4 in his seventh and last season with the team. This successful year set him up for the head coaching job on the Tulane Green Wave basketball team.

Ned Fowler spent four years with the university. In those four years, he went 70-35 and made one NCAA tournament appearance in his first year with the team.

Ned’s team’s toughest loss was when they fought North Carolina. They lost by a two-point defeat from arguably the best player in the world, Michael Jordan’s game-winning three-point shot.

“[I loved] Associations with players and fans, plus winning was my favorite thing about coaching,” Fowler said.

Fowler also coached four players that got drafted in the NBA. One of which is John “Hot Rod”  Williams who was drafted 45th in the second round by the Cleveland Cavaliers and ended his career as an All-Star. Five years after his career with Tulane, Fowler was hired as the head coach at Stephen F. Austin University.

“[My biggest accomplishment as a coach was] being named national division one Rookie Coach of the year my first year at Tulane. Also having only four losing seasons in only 27 years,” Fowler said.

Fowler spent six years with SFA and went 78-87 with the team.  He was an assistant for the Auburn Tigers and was brought on the team to help their defense. One of Fowler’s biggest games at Auburn was when he helped the defense as an assistant coach defeat #1 Kentucky in an upset performance.