Haunted history of Halloween continues to scare

The Cottonwood Creek Church held their annual pumpkin patch -photo by Claire Easley

LeopardLife Ally Harris and Bethany McTee, Staff writers

With candy, costumes, and fright beginning to appear, many people are excited to go out and celebrate Halloween with their family and friends. To many children in the United States, October 31 is their favorite day of the year. However, what many people don’t know is how the holiday was started.

Almost everyone enjoys the fun of going out and dressing up with friends and family, but many aren’t aware that the holiday was an old celebration that has since been turned into the tradition called Halloween.

“I enjoy halloween because I get to dress up with my family and go out to get candy,” Sterling Threet, eighth-grader, said.

Halloween is thought to be started as the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. In this festival the people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. The festivals were a time to communicate with the dead. On the festival day many believed that the barrier between the living and nonliving was broken.

“I think Halloween was possibly started a long time ago by traditions. Maybe they started wearing costumes and painting their faces, or they started a tradition by scaring people and pretending to be beasts,” Simi Fadel, seventh-grader, said.

In the eighth century, Pope Gregory the Third designated Nov. 1 as the day to honor the saints. The night before this day, was called All Hallow’s Eve. Later this day was  turned into Halloween. People started trick-or-treating and carving jack-o’-lanterns out of pumpkins. People around the world enjoy Halloween for different reasons that matter more for them.

Many adults and kids also enjoy the costume making. They enjoy the craft and the fun of creating these dress up items to scare others.

“I enjoy Halloween because I enjoy making costumes. I have made family costumes and dance costumes so I enjoy that part of the popular event. I love seeing people dressed up, but I don’t really really like sugar, so I don’t really enjoy the candy/ trick-or-treat part anymore. I also don’t really like to be scared,” Karen Hoban, substitute teacher, said.

Nov. 1 was the first day of fall and was associated with human death. The night before fall was thought as a superstition that the boundary of living and nonliving worlds were mixed. The history of Halloween is believed to be very interesting when kids and adults are not thinking about all the happiness and excitement that comes along with the historical event.

“I think Halloween is for children to just have fun and to dress up. The main point is to enjoy the day with your friends,” Fadel said.