Suicide- A battle not to be fought alone

LeopardLife Ally Harris and Angelina Widmoser

graphic by india ingham

Suicide Prevention Month has been observed for many years by millions of different people. While September has already passed, this issue is remembered all year long. In recent years, people have made suicide and depression seem “cool” or “in-style”.Others believe it is not because every 30 seconds someone tries to commit suicide. Authorities believe suicide and depression should be taken seriously, and people struggling with such matters should get help.

“I think that it is important for us to have these conversations about our mental health and that we kind of get over the stigma that we shouldn’t be talking about or thinking about because it is just as important as our physical health,” Kay Bordelon, Li-Z counselor, said.

People from the American Association of Suicidology believe individuals have plenty of reasons to live. They believe everyone has a different purpose in life that adds to the culture of schools, communities, and the world.

“If we’re depressed or we’re anxious we need to be talking about and working on those things. That’s at the root of where suicide comes from,” Bordelon said.

Besides keeping themselves mentally healthy, teens should help others feel better about themselves. Evidence shows, when people are thinking of suicide, they are not realizing what their friends and family will have to go through if they take those actions.

“We use the slogan or the thought around here called TAG, which the T stands for take it seriously, A for ask questions, and get help, the G. So Take It Seriously, Ask Questions, and Get Help. Talking about our feelings and when you hear a friend say, ‘Hey, you look really sad and down today. Are you feeling okay?’ helping distract them. If they are down for a couple of days, maybe we need to talk to somebody about this,” Bordelon said.

People use this month to reach out to those affected by suicide, raise awareness, and connect individuals with suicidal ideation to treatment services. There has been more middle-schoolers dying of suicide than in car crashes, leaving behind their friends, family, and pets to navigate the tragedy of loss and sadness. In many cases, friends and families affected by a suicide loss (often called “suicide loss survivors”) are left in the dark to mourn.

Suicide Prevention Month is emphasized to show what an important thing to address it is. It brings people together with strength and passion about a difficult and harsh topic for most people. Everyone can benefit from this month with these conversations because they could potentially save a person’s life.