North Texas Giving Day benefits Lovejoy area

Courtesy photo https://northtexasgivingday.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

LeopardLife Michael Modine and Ahmed Bouafif, Staff Writers

North Texas Giving Day raised a total of $39,379,446 on Sept. 14, and most of the area participated for one main goal: to help build awareness and support as a nonprofit team.

Lovejoy ISD also participated in North Texas Giving Day. When students arrived at school on Thursday, some of the staff were handing out cookies as a gift for all of the parents and students. School officials commented on the day of giving and the impact it made.

“North Texas Giving Day is not just here in Lovejoy. It is across the North Texas region and it is an opportunity for charities to remind people to be generous. It is like give us $10 today. This corporation is going to match it with $10.. It’s a way for the organization is to get more money, and there are so many organizations out there including the foundation for Lovejoy schools,” WSMS Kay Bordelon, Li-Z counselor, said.

“North Texas Giving Day has giving profiles for both the Mass Care Task Force and CFT’s Relief and Recovery Fund. The Mass Care Task Force, a collaboration between the American Red Cross North Texas Region and the Salvation Army of  DFW Metroplex Command, are actively serving those evacuating to shelters here in Dallas and all throughout the state. In addition, CFT is collecting funds to support mid- to long-term reconstruction, and rebuilding needs following the immediate crisis period,” Bordelon said.

Demands on the North Texas region will continue to increase in the short- and long-term as many Harvey evacuees relocate to our area to escape the storm damage. In addition to supporting recovery efforts, some are encouraging others to continue to give to local nonprofits who keep the region strong. They believe in the local nonprofit sector and want all to be equipped to accept newcomers while also continuing to serve those across the North Texas region.

“We chose not to take an overly active role here on our campus because we just had a big push the week before for hurricane relief for Harvey so list had a big fundraiser through our district and PALS had fundraiser through our lunches. They raised over a thousand dollars, and we were also raising funds for school supplies for the school in Dallas where a lot of evacuees went to this part of Texas. I personally raised money for Operation Kindness,” Bordelon said.

While Willow Springs National Junior Honor Society did not participate in the day of giving, NJHS, participated in helping charities that benefited from their service work in the past. NJHS is comprised of eighth-grade students to create enthusiasm for scholarship, stimulate a desire to render service, promote leadership, develop character, and encourage citizenship in the students of Willow Springs Middle School.  

A few of the service projects the students of NJHS have completed are the Thanksgiving food drive for the ACO and the pet drive for Operation Kindness. Students interested in becoming a member of NJHS should be willing to put in the time required to earn service hours, attend monthly meetings, and maintain the required 94-grade average.