Hurricane Harvey continues to impact Texans

Hurricane Harvey's impact on Houston.

Elaina Johnson

Hurricane Harvey's impact on Houston.

LeopardLife Lloyd Blaylock, Campus Life editor, Dinah Thadikonda, Etcetera editor, Olivia Lauter, Asst. Photo editor, staff writer

As Hurricane Harvey progressed in the direction of Northwest, the water level rose and threatened the safety of families along the coast. Death tolls have reached more than 40 people. Severe damage has been inflicted on Houston and other nearby cities, which are slowly attempting to recover from the storm.

Many Texas cities along the coast, such as Corpus Christi, Houston, and Beaumont and along the Texas/Louisiana coastline border were greatly affected by the storm. A hurricane warning was in effect for roughly 1.5 million people, with another 16 million under a tropical storm warning.

The hurricane was a Category 4 storm with up to three feet of rain, 125 mph winds, 12-foot storm surges and could be one of the fiercest storms to hit the United States in almost a dozen years. All seven Texas counties on the coast from Corpus Christi to the western end of Galveston Island have ordered a mandatory evacuation of tens of thousands of residents from all low-lying areas, but despite that, multitudes of people have decided to stay in their homes over the course of the hurricane.

“I have an aunt and two cousins that lived in Houston, but they evacuated and are living with us. If people are staying through the hurricane I think that they should prepare a lot of food and water, make sure that you have a safe place somewhere where you can keep all your storage and is big enough for you to stay in,” Fariba Alavi, eighth-grade, said.

In four of those counties, officials ordered their entire county evacuated and warned those who stayed behind that no one could be guaranteed rescue. Hurricane Harvey caused U.S. gasoline prices to rise, the storm hit a refinery-rich stretch of the Gulf Coast that accounts for half of the nation’s refining capacity.

Wholesale gasoline futures rose Thursday, Aug. 4 by 5 cents, or 3 percent, to $1.66 per gallon. Experts predict that’ll quickly show up on service-station signs. Other basic necessities such as water and batteries prices are rising as well. This is not only occurring in Houston but in other cities as well as Austin and Corpus Christi. As many families tend to take short trips during Labor Day weekend, this may affect them as well. Many people are reporting how the gasoline prices are rising on social media

“I grew up in Lake City, which was one of the hardest hit areas. I have most of my family who’s on the cruise side, which lives in Dickinson and Santa Fe, half of them were flooded and half of them were not.” Christina Chapman, choir teacher, said.

Irma was designated a tropical storm Wednesday morning, and by Thursday afternoon, it had strengthened into a large Category 3 hurricane, with winds of 115 mph. President Donald Trump asked Congress for a $7.9 billion down payment toward Harvey relief and recovery efforts. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott suggested the cost of recovery could be as much as $180 billion.

Harvey’s flood waters have started dropping across much of the Houston area and the storm has weakened, but major dangers remain for the U.S. Gulf Coast area, including the threat of an explosion at a stricken Texas chemical plant and major flooding further east near the Texas-Louisiana line. With an estimate of 60 deaths, Hurricane Harvey barrels on, leaving a trail of destruction behind it.