Students collect $1,726 for Harvey victims

Posters around WSMS advertise PALS fundraiser, hoping to reach $2,000 in donations for Hurricane Harvey victims.

-India Ingham

-India Ingham

LeopardLife Ailsa Kokoricha, Editor-in-Chief

PALS, a student organization on campus, has launched a fundraiser to assist those who have been affected in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. The hurricane swept across the coast of Texas, dropping feet of water on the low-lying city of Houston.

Many people lost their homes in the hurricane, and for some, it will take an extended time to regain their way of life. Marty Locke, WSMS Texas history teacher, underwent Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

“It took a year-and-a-half to rebuild our house, we lived in a 30-foot trailer in the back of our yard while our house was being rebuilt. We had to travel 50 to 80 miles north to get supplies and groceries. Bad people took advantage of other’s misfortunes.” Locke said. “There was price gouging and crooked contractors who took your money to fix your home and never completed repairs. People lost thousands of dollars. There were no restaurants nearby, all of the gas stations and stores were closed due to lack of power or supplies.”

Students in PALS have organized a fundraiser named “Handouts for Harvey” in the hopes of helping the people who lost their livelihood in the flooding. All donations will go to the American Red Cross, to then be distributed among those who need the support.

“We are doing the fundraiser because we wanted to help the people going through this devastating time. We decided to raise money for the Red Cross because they provide food, shelter, clothing, and other necessities in times of crisis,” Ally Brownlee, PALS, eighth-grade student, said.

Students have the opportunity to donate money during their lunch period. To encourage as much participation as possible, PALS are offering a prize to whichever lunch period raises the most money. The fundraiser opened Friday, Sept. 1, closing on Thursday, Sept. 7.

“The collecting is going very well so far; we have already raised $400. Our goal is $2,000 and every cent counts,” Grace Milliken, another PALS student, said.

However, “Handouts for Harvey” is not the only Lovejoy ISD effort to help Hurricane Harvey victims. District-wide, everyone has the chance to contribute general items such as flashlights and hygiene products. Everything will be given to the Red Cross and Salvation Army to hand out to those in need.

“While the impact of Hurricane Harvey will be devastating to southeastern Texas, we will be back to near normal in several months. The great thing about Texas is our culture, and Texans, as well as other people around the country, will step up and up those in need,” Locke said.