Solar Eclipse shines LIGHT on new school year

Educators assure school year stays bright for students

LeopardLife Lindsey Hughes and Parker Post, Managing Editors LeopardLife, Grace Milliken, WSMS Video News

Connor Johnson and other math students check out the eclipse on the first day of school. – photo by Beth Lowry

Students said the new school year looks so bright, they had to wear shades – literally.  While most students pack new school supplies, on Monday students added one other new item – protective eyewear/shades to view the Solar Eclipse on Monday, August 21, the first day of school.  

Administrative officials provided protective glasses for students and staff to view the eclipse during school in fourth and fifth periods, approximately from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.

“I thought it was really cool because I haven’t seen it before,” said seventh-grader, Samantha Hartwright.

To ensure that students school year stays as bright as the first day of school, school officials and teachers took steps to get students off on the track even before the school year officially began.

Because middle school might seem like a colossal leap for students, Willow Springs staff provides several ways for students to get back into the swing of school. This includes, “Walk the Springs” and meetings for new students entering the school. WSMS faculty suggests ways for students to prepare for school and keep it bright.

“Students can prepare by continuing (or getting back to) a regular sleep, exercise, and eating schedule.  Lots of students (and adults) tend to stay up late, sleep late, eat more or less, and lay on the couch more in the summer.  Making sure we are taking good care of ourselves will help us be mentally and physically ready for the challenges of school,” Kay Bordelon, last name Li-Z counselor said.

Rising seventh-graders aren’t the only ones with a change of pace this school year, upcoming eighth-graders take on the responsibility and leadership of being at the top of the ladder. In order for the seventh-grader’s first Willow Springs experience to run smooth, eighth-graders can lend a helping hand for seventh-graders with opening lockers, finding classes, and making friends.

“I feel like as an eighth-grader and the ‘leaders’ of the schools we will be in a more powerful position to influence the younger students. We will be treated with more responsibility being the oldest kids on campus,” Kendall Carll, eighth-grade, said.

A way students prepare for the school year is attending “Walk the Springs”. This event is a day held by the WSMS staff to walk the students through a three-hour version of their daily school schedule. This event is held to help students prepare and know what to expect for a normal school day.

“We encourage all students to participate in Walk the Springs! This is a great event for students to walk out their schedules, meet their teachers, and see familiar faces in each of their classes. It also allows for the ‘First Day Jitters’ to happen in a more relaxed setting,” Kathy Stone, last names A-Le counselor said.

Going from intermediate school to middle school can bring more pressure and hard work to the incoming seventh-graders. Although it may seem difficult now, many students think they can become accustomed to the change.

“I think the main difference [between intermediate school and middle school] will be the home work and self-responsibilities. I think it will be more fast-paced. It will be a lot more responsibilities and accountabilities for my actions, including the quality of work [and] the amount of work that is done (Finished or not finished). But overall I think it will be different, but I can get used to it,” Sydney Legg, seventh-grade said.

As a way to relieve themselves from the stress at school, students can choose extracurricular activities to participate in. Some electives include, art, theatre, graphic art and design, yearbook, and several other options. Seventh-graders can do up to three, and eighth-graders can choose up to four.

“I am most excited this year for theater. I did the spring play and I’m really excited to see what I can do in the fall play,” Clay Diercks, seventh-grade said.

During their lunch on Monday, students had the chance to view the solar eclipse with protecting glasses. Many described the eclipse as an orange crescent and a great experience. The next Eclipse will not be seen over all of America, so the students got to soak up all the sun on Monday.

“I feel as if it was a very good learning experience and being able to see a solar eclipse in the range is really cool because it won’t happen again. It’s mean to say but I was a little bit disappointed because I thought it would be a lot more, like wow, and amazing,” Joeley Hedgcoxe.

WSMS faculty provides many ways for students to prepare for the school year, setting students up for success. Kay Bordelon, faculty and families hope to have a successful year as Willow Springs students enter the new step of their school career.

“I think everyone, students, parents, and teachers, would agree that we all want 2017-2018 to be a great school year!”