Students and staff hunker down for Harvey

-graphic+by+Anika+Dresser%2C+graphic+design+student.%0A+++Hurricane+Harvey+is+expected+to+hit+the+Texas+coastline+Friday.+Many+students+in+the+area+have+family+members+impacted+by+the+hurricane.+
-graphic by Anika Dresser, graphic design student.
   Hurricane Harvey is expected to hit the Texas coastline Friday. Many students in the area have family members impacted by the hurricane.

-graphic by Anika Dresser, graphic design student. Hurricane Harvey is expected to hit the Texas coastline Friday. Many students in the area have family members impacted by the hurricane.

LeopardLife Ailsa Kokoricha and Claire Easley, Kat Wise and other staff, Co Editors in Chief, and Real World Section Editor

For the first time since 2008, Texas expects a hurricane to hit its coast later today.  But prior to landfall, the Dallas area  began receiving rain around 12:30 p.m. CST even though Hurricane Harvey is expected to hit the Gulf of Mexico at 1 p.m.

The hurricane is anticipated to reach Category 4 and will hit inland late Friday night with rains continuing into the DFW area through Wednesday. The hurricane has reached 85 mph winds, despite starting off as a 35 mph tropical depression 24 hours ago.

Willow Springs teacher and longtime Florida former resident and professional fisherman Marty Locke, seventh grade Texas History teacher and department lead, said the Texas area should brace in preparedness.

“The southeast Texas economy will be impacted the most from Hurricane Harvey. Small

businesses will take the biggest hit. Many small businesses do not have business interruption service and will be forced to lay off employees while repair are being made,”  “Businesses will also suffer due to the fact that people will relocate due to severe damage to property or temporary loss of jobs.”

There are major flooding concerns to the point where some are fleeing their coastal areas. Along the coast there could be up to about two feet of rain. If the hurricane, as expected, is stalled for a few days, the rains could reach a catastrophic level marked by flash flooding. This means Harvey may not exit Texas until some time on Wednesday.

The damage hurricanes inflict amount to millions of dollars. Hurricane Ike totaled to $25 million in losses. However, Ike did not hit the Houston Ship Channel directly. If the storm were to hit the channel straight on, damages could, with ease, reach $100 billion. The state of the American economy if this were to occur, is uncertain.

Jennifer Dunn, National Weather Service meteorologist, said those in the Dallas-Fort Worth area could sustain scattered rain through Monday, but those chances are slim. Other areas however, are slated to reach more than 20 inches of rain.

At least 30 counties along the coast are at risk of severe flooding, storm surge, and debilitating winds and have been placed under a state of disaster by Gov. Greg Abbot. At Texas A&M University in Corpus Christi, students have already been evacuated.

Many in North Texas are preparing to provide relief for those caught in the worst of the storm. Dallas has made accommodations for up to 6,000 evacuees if it is needed, whereas ten critically ill babies on life support were removed from Driscoll Children’s Hospital in Corpus Christi hospital to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth.

In Harvey’s path is a refinery-rich area of the Gulf Coast, which accounts for up to half of the nation’s refining capacity. Other refineries are shutting down in anticipation of the storm. Because of this, many are expecting gasoline prices to rise.

Many students have family and relatives impacted by the storm. 

People located on the Coast of Texas started evacuating on August 24th, 2017 before Hurricane Harvey hits. Some residents of the Coast of Texas will be evacuating their homes and going up North to take shelter in hotels and homes of loved ones.

During an incoming hurricane students and adults should evacuate any area that could be in serious danger of the storm. They should find a building with high elevation, since a hurricane is likely to bring in a severe flood. They should also avoid rooms with windows since debris can fly into a window and shatter it, possibly injuring someone. Also people should stay inside or else high winds can blow debris that could injure a person when it strikes.

Hurricane Harvey started as a gentle breeze in the Sahara Desert in Africa. As the breeze blew out across the Atlantic Ocean, the oceans heat increased the power of the storm. When it entered the Gulf of Mexico, it had become a Category 3 hurricane with winds up to 25 miles. 

From June 1st to November 30th is when hurricanes are most likely to hit, so Hurricane Harvey came right on time. Hurricanes can cause high destruction, but they can also help keep away drought. The South-East of Texas gets most of its rainfall from hurricanes, so hurricanes can help South-East Texas stay out of drought. 

Some residents of the Coast of Texas will be evacuating their homes and going up North to take shelter in hotels and homes of loved ones.

During an incoming hurricane individuals evacuate any area that could be in serious danger of the storm. They should find a building with high elevation, since a hurricane is likely to bring in a severe flood. They should also avoid rooms with windows since debris can fly into a window and shatter it, possibly injuring someone. Also people should stay inside or else high winds can blow debris that could injure a person when it strikes.