LeopardLife earns Star Award – wins in 34 events

WSMS Video News placed in every event entered

Eighth-graders+Carter+Satterwhite%2C+Taylor+Crosby%2C+Layla+Healey+and+Jackson+Willard+provide+leadership+as+editors+of+the+award-winning+LeopardLife+publication.+
Eighth-graders Carter Satterwhite, Taylor Crosby, Layla Healey and Jackson Willard provide leadership as editors of the award-winning LeopardLife publication.

- photo by Major Friesland, photo editor

LeopardLife is led by Carter Satterwhite and Layla Healey, editors in chief; Taylor Crosby and Jackson Willard, managing editors; photo and graphics editors, Carrie Duke and Major Friesland; and section editors, Josh Bittlestone, Jacob Parkinson, Abe Bedjaoui, and Jack Marsden. – photo by Elaina Johnson

The WSMS student newspaper, LeopardLife, received another Bronze Star Award, recognizing the top 10 percent of publications across Texas at the state journalism ILPC (UIL) spring convention April 21-23 at the University of Texas at Austin. Additionally, students’ work from publications at Willow Springs Middle School competed in various categories and earned more than 34 combined gold, silver, and bronze individual awards. LeopardLife went up against high schools in earning the Star Award.

LeopardLife print and online newspaper and Rosette yearbook also received the highest critique of Distinguished Merit at the convention from ILPC/UIL – the association’s highest critique rating.  The publications also took home Best of Show awards at the National Student Press Association/Journalism Educator Association convention April 6-9 in Seattle, Wash.

LeopardLife is led by Carter Satterwhite and Layla Healey, editors in chief; Taylor Crosby and Jackson Willard, managing editors; photo and graphics editors, Carrie Duke and Major Friesland; and section editors, Josh Bittlestone, Jacob Parkinson, Abe Bedjaoui, and Jack Marsden.   Rosette Yearbook is led by Anna Beard, editor in chief,  Amelia Flinchbaugh and Jack Czyz, assistant editors and photo editors Mark Wen and Grace Baker.

Receiving individual awards at the state convention were current LeopardLife seventh and eighth-graders: Jacob Parkinson, Josh Bittlestone, Jack Marsden, Ailsa Kokoricha, Maddox Pederson, Ryan Wang, Adam Pool, Dinah Thadikonda, Lindsey Hughes, Major Friesland, Sydney Wigginton, Carrie Duke, Carter Satterwhite, Taylor Crosby, Abe Bedjaoui, Arushi Gupta; advanced graphic design students, Brandon White and Kiley Boots, for their graphics work in LeopardLife; and Rosette yearbook staff: Jacob Frazier and Anna Beard for photography;  and current Lovejoy High School freshman for their work on the May 2016 issue of LeopardLife: Melody Quintero, Lily Hager, Kelsey Carroll, Grace Nguyen and Madeline Sanders.

The broadcast staff of WSMS Video News placed in every category entered for Individual Awards for Broadcast middle schools and small 4A high school included in the individual award competition. Golds were brought home by Ailsa Kokoricha’s package on Martin Luther King tied for first place with a digital video story on a library competition called “Battle of the Books,”  by eighth graders Elizabeth Breiner, Tajvir Singh, and Aaron Johnson. Elizabeth Breiner, Reese Scheckel, and Kamri McKnight won first place in the General Sports category with their package on concussions. The entire staff also took home two other separate gold medals for Graphics and Producing.

More than 1,100 journalism students and advisers attend the ILPC/UIL convention each year with more than 100 instructional sessions on legal issues, trends in the field, and best journalism skills and practices. Sessions are led by leading journalism advisers, professional journalists, and university professors.