TIME and TEMPO- tennis finishes season strong and looks to more fall practice

Players kept time and tempo practicing tennis with music playing and "rackets swinging"

Tennis players practice with music playing, keeping time and tempo with each contact of racket to whack of the tennis ball.

-photo by yearbook staff

LeopardLife Adam Pool and Sam Walton, Staff Writers

Eric Esser crushes the tennis ball passed the net.

As tennis wraps up, this season,  next year, student will get to participate in tennis as an all-year-around sport.

While tennis comes to a close,  players said they know all of their efforts and hard work has been used for one thing and one thing only, tennis. The boys end their season with 7-2. The girls end theirs with 6-4.

Next year, tennis will be all round for training and tryouts will be held in spring for competitive play. During Fall, there will be open practices for players to improve their skills if they are interested in tennis. This is something new that Coach Will Davis implemented

“[My goals for the season are] for everybody to improve their skills and attitudes on the court. Also to be competitive in every match,” said Will Davis.

“[The tennis season prepares by] going through several drills at practice that work on strategy and technique,” said coach Davis.

Tennis could sometimes be challenging players said. For beginners, players said it is difficult because they don’t know anything about the sport. Some kids think that tennis is just a ball and a racket, but it’s far more. It takes strategy, complex learning, and a skillful mindset.

“I signed up for tennis because I wanted to play with my friends and my favorite part is getting able to serve,” said seventh-grader, Michael Beaney.

Tennis began their spring play with rackets swinging everywhere around the court with music playing, by season’s end players were more in tune with the game and the music. Keeping time with tempo few may realize, tennis is the only sport at WSMS that plays music while practicing. These songs are verbally non-explicit and even help some of the tennis players with rhythm and consistent strokes. Tennis players on the court get ‘tuned’ into their music. Some types of music can even help improve the enjoyment and performance in a sport or activity.

“I love the music to the moon and back because it keeps my head ready for the match,” said seventh-grader, Peyton Yoder.

The tennis team recently had a tournament late spring and have come close to the end of the tournament. They got knocked out of the tourney close to midway in the tournament. The team has played in tournaments against various schools including Curtis Middle School, Rockwall Cain, Ereckson Middle School, and Ford Middle School. Their last tournament was April 13,  against Ereckson, Curtis, and Ford Middle Schools. They lost with a close score with a three-point difference. This showed their team to practice more and commit more to their sport, players said.

“Practices have been going well and I can see a lot of improvement in everyone. Our tournaments have gone great which shows that we have been working,” said eighth-grader, Zach Garcia.