WSMS celebrates children with autism

-major friesland, photo and graphics editor

LeopardLife Maddox Pederson and Sam Walton, Staff Writers

Autism is a brain condition that causes a person to have difficulty communicating, forming relationships with other people, detecting sarcasm and social cues, and can have trouble comprehending the emotions of the people around them. Many kids look at this as a disadvantage, however, other people say otherwise. With 7.2 billion people in the world, more than 50 million people in the world have autism.

There are many different symptoms to autism, including having one special interest. This special interest can be in a variety of things whether it is math, music, technology, words, or art. Autistic people tend to be extremely passionate and fixated on this one interest. Along with this characteristic, autistic people also tend to be fond of pattern whether it’s found in shapes, numbers, or just everyday life in general. Having a certain way of doing things on time and sticking to a routine every day. According to an online blog written by a young girl with autism, if something or someone breaks that routine or somehow changes it, it can result in shutdowns or meltdowns, two responses to extreme distress from an autistic person.

“I believe much more authentic, unbiased research needs to be done on Autism. In addition, I believe it is also critical for the medical community to develop a screening protocol to identify infants who have a pediatrician to developing Autism so that their vaccine schedule can be altered or delayed due to safety issues,” said  Debra Walton, the mother of a Lovejoy High School student with autism.

There are many types of Autism. A common type of Autism is Asperger’s Syndrome. According to http://www.autism-society.org/, Asperger’s Syndrome is a milder form of autism and used the term “high-functioning autism” to describe these individuals. People with Asperger’s tend to have less severe symptoms and no language delays compared to people with Autism. Asperger’s Syndrome is a type of dysfunction that people are born with and is a non-changeable symptom.

“I don’t think they are less likely to affect to a real life scenario because we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I think everyone with autism is an individual so everyone is going to act differently for when something important is happening. I think that all kids should be treated the same individually because we are all different and that makes us all alike, we are all human,” said Leah Chabra, special ed teacher.

While to some people autism may seem like a child condition, autism is actually a lifelong condition. However, there are treatments available if needed. Like any type of personality behavior, autism behaviors change over time. Typically, when a child reaches one-year-old, the symptoms start to show. Being shy or anxious around strangers, avoiding different or certain people, or lack of word use are a few symptoms.

Autism is a condition that is often not acknowledged by some people. The color blue is the symbol color of Autism awareness and is commonly worn in the month of April, autism awareness month. The autism awareness puzzle ribbon is one of the most known symbols for autism. It shows the puzzle of the mind of someone with autism.

“It is my hope that this country; including our government medical community, parents, and pharmaceutical leaders, can have an honest and open debate on Autism,” said Walton.