Impacts and dangers of vape

-creative commons

-creative commons

LeopardLife Jackson Willard, managing editor, and Maddox Pederson, staff writer

Cigarettes are highly marketed against, whether it’s a TV commercial, an ad on a website, or a sign outside of a building. Multiple people have it plastered into their brain, that the addiction and consequences of smoking can put the human body in grave danger to things like cancer and can lead to other drug use.
What goes unnoticed is the relatively new e-cigarettes. Released in 2008, the “harmless version” of normal cigarettes with fewer effects on the body, the new technology is definitely not safe. Although it is highly marketed as having less effect on bodies, it still uses the addictive drug nicotine and it can cause lung cancer.
Although vaping may seem like a safer way to smoke, few realize it is still highly addictive and harms the body in the respiratory system. Vaping can still cause many different kinds of cancer and other diseases. and it is against the student code of conduct.
Cigarettes release nicotine into the body when someone smokes or uses vaporizers. The main health risks from smoking are lung cancer, heart disease, and stroke. Smoking causes almost 90 percent of deaths from lung cancer, around 80 percent of deaths from COPD, and around 17 percent of deaths from heart disease. According to http://www.livescience.com, 90 percent of people who vape are “dual users” or people who smoke a cigarette after they vape. Although vaping may not have the worst effect on the body, it leads to people trying normal cigarettes.
While WSMS hasn’t had many confrontations with vape, nationwide it is more of a problem.
“[Consequences for vaping is] a case-by-case basis, we certainly have to gather all the information and where and how it was used. Vaping is covered in our student code of conduct is prohibited on any campus within the district,” said Messer.
According to the WSMS Student Code of Conduct, Students are prohibited from possessing or using any type of tobacco product, electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), or any other electronic vaporizing device, while on school property at any time or while attending an off-campus, school related activity. The district and its staff strictly enforce prohibitions against the use of all tobacco products, e-cigarettes, or any other electronic vaporizing device, by students and all others on school property and at school-sponsored and school-related activities.
“If you look at studies about why students consider smoking or vaping, or even drinking, it’s because they want to try and look older or act older. [To prevent future issues in vaping] we need to communicate and teach students the dangers of vaping,” said principal, Kent Messer.